Talk

Advanced search

COME TALK TO ME ABOUT COOKERS PLEASE?? Ceramic, Induction, Steam, etc....

(12 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Thu 11-Sep-08 12:45:16

What cooker do you have?
What do you like about it?
What do you NOT like?

Can you recommend it?

I am wondering whether to get a ceramic top or an induction top, and what make to get.

Any opinions?
grin

QuintessentialShadow Thu 11-Sep-08 13:54:13

wow - I cant believe people are so uninterested in my dilemma! grin

murphyslaw Thu 11-Sep-08 15:32:09

Hi

I have got a smeg double oven with ceramic hob.

Ceramic really easy peasy to clean - wouldnt buy cooker with double oven again as it takes ageeees to warm up. Next time I would get one with 2 or 3 separate ovens.

Philpot Thu 11-Sep-08 16:02:53

We had to get an induction one because we are on oil not gas. Its a big Stoves one. I think it is great, almost as receptive as gas. The hob is much easier to clean than any other cooker I've had. The only downside is that if you have a round-ish bottomed wok it can't get hot enough for a decent stir-fry. Also, you need the right pans, but ours has two normal rings that you can use for any pan, so we didn't have to throw any away.

wilbur Thu 11-Sep-08 16:09:24

We have a De Deitrich induction hob, installed 18 months ago. I absolutely love it, really fast to boil stuff, great v low simmer, and very responsive. Plus a joy to clean after our old gas hob.

charleymouse Thu 11-Sep-08 16:12:27

Oh I have a new induction hob and keep putting pans of water on to boil and walking off thinking they will take ages and then DH yells you're flooding the kitchen as boiling water cascades down front of units. DOH. Tis very good I just need to learn how to use it and start to think of it like gas rather than electric. Nice and easy to clean as well. Slider control on the front very nice.

MuffinMclay Thu 11-Sep-08 16:17:26

Bosch electric oven with Bosch induction hob.

I'd prefer a gas hob, but there's no mains gas here. Have got used to the induction hob now though and it is fine.

Heats up very quickly (and cools down quickly afterwards).
Very responsive.
Very easy to clean.

Only downside is that if even a splash of water spills on it (eg when a pan comes to the boil) it switches off and makes an annoying beeping noise.

Othersideofthechannel Thu 11-Sep-08 16:24:57

No mains gas here either.
Sauter - 2 rings induction, 2 rings bottled gas. I love the induction and only use the gas when I need 3 or more rings or when there's a power cut.

scaryteacher Thu 11-Sep-08 16:29:09

Have Bosch ceramic hob in rented house - hate it. Have Stanley oil fired Range with large slab of cast iron in Cornwall, which my tenants are cooking on. I don't like the Bosch - my pots are too large for it.

QuintessentialShadow Thu 11-Sep-08 16:32:38

Thanks. I wont get the Bosch Induction top - two of my friends have them. Actually, just one, the other got so pissed off with it she threw it out, it was just one year old.... They have problems setting the heat settings and setting what zone to cook on.

I am thinking maybe Zanussi (budget option) or Whirlpool, or Husquarna.

Electrolux and AEG are too pricy.

I am thinking maybe I should stick too ceramic?

2madboys Thu 11-Sep-08 16:37:19

I have a Neff induction hob and single fan oven. The oven is great but not huge. The hob is brilliant, really responsive and easy to clean. Would not go back to gas. The only downside is that you may need to get new pans as not all pans work on induction. We gave away a lovely set we'd had for a wedding present and had to buy all new ones.

scarletlilybug Thu 11-Sep-08 16:40:35

Don't get a simple ceramic hob - unresonsive, and things burn onto it.
An induction hob, OTOH, is great. Responsive, fuel efficient and safe an so far as you can't leave them switched on by accident/the plates themselves don't tend to get all that hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now