Talk

Advanced search

How can I get rid of cooking smells from a 2nd hand washing machine??

(8 Posts)
vannah Sun 07-Sep-08 16:19:50

Does anyone please know?

We had a second hand washing machine installed by our very nice washing machine guy yesterday, but I think the machine was in his house for a long time. It reeks.

We have washed it down with strong dettol (very little water) both in and out, windows open all day and night.

It still stinks.

What can I do? Feel sick every time I go in the kitchen
thankyou

WendyWeber Sun 07-Sep-08 16:21:47

Where is the smell coming from?

vannah Sun 07-Sep-08 17:10:36

the WHOLE machine wendyw, he smells the same so i presume its a type of cooking smell...

WendyWeber Sun 07-Sep-08 17:14:46

ewwwww.

I wouldn't have thought the smell would cling to the metal parts - have you given it a really hot empty wash through & given all the hoses a good scrub down? And the door seal?

Can't think what else you can do really sad It will wear off (we once bought a car that had been used by a florist & it stank of smelly flower water for ages but it did go in the end, & that was in the carpets)

Reamhar Sun 07-Sep-08 17:26:48

Could you put it through a cycle with a big squirt of bleach in the washing power compartment. No clothes, obviously. grin

vannah Sun 07-Sep-08 17:48:45

thanks both ive not tried it reaally hot. will do..
and bleach in the wash..

lucysmam Sun 07-Sep-08 18:56:12

white vinegar on a hot wash to clean the whole thing thoroughly

crokky Sun 07-Sep-08 19:04:38

I'd do the hot wash first, then the bleachy wash. Wouldn't like to cook the bleach to 90 degrees or whatever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now