Talk

Advanced search

Do you have to peel fruit before putting it through a juicer?

(9 Posts)
PaintingRainbows Sun 07-Sep-08 14:44:42

I've just acquired a Russell Hobbs 'Juicelady' juicer but it has no instructions and I have never used one before. I know the theory i.e fruit goes in here and juice comes out there grin but before I stick my pears in whole and bung up the whole unit could someone please enlighten me as to how much preparation I should do with the fruit first.
thanks in advance smile

mustrunmore Sun 07-Sep-08 14:48:08

Depends what it is. Pears, no. just cut in half to help it along. Same for apples etc.
Oranges,melon, and kiwis, def yes to peeling!

georgiemum Sun 07-Sep-08 14:50:57

Obviously you do for oranges etc. I think the rule generally is you don't if you'd normally eat it. The pips can go through too.

Just chop it up into chunks big enough to go into the tube. Watch out for tough things like carrots as they bugger the blade and squishy over-ripe things can get stuck.

Don't try bananas or avovados though.

Overmydeadbody Sun 07-Sep-08 14:51:27

depends on the fruit.

No if you can eat the peal anyway.

Yes if you can't.

PaintingRainbows Sun 07-Sep-08 14:55:24

Thanks mustrunmore (hmm, so should I ... run more that is!)
So basically only peel if the skin/peel would taste foul otherwise anything goes. That's great smile. The idea of peeling/preparing everything was putting me off.

PaintingRainbows Sun 07-Sep-08 14:57:52

Thanks Georgiemum and Overmydeadbody. and thanks for the advice re the bananas, they would have been next on my list to try as they're sitting in my fruitbowl! Okay off to try it now...

mustrunmore Sun 07-Sep-08 14:59:48

Feeding it fruit is the easy bit. Cleaning it is the hassle!

PaintingRainbows Sun 07-Sep-08 15:39:41

Wow, It worked! and was actually really easy to clean (although I guess some fruits and veg might be harder to clean than others?)I'm well impressed smile
Thing which surprised me was the way it came out much more like a yoghurt type smoothie. I expected a much more runny consistency.
Might have to nip up to the veg patch and try beetroot next....

georgiemum Sun 07-Sep-08 15:58:19

Beetroot is nasty - but if you mix with carrots, apples and ginger it's not too bad. Beetroot is pretty hard on the machine though - we got through 3 before we got a Waring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now