Talk

Advanced search

Spiders

(21 Posts)
mogs0 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:33:39

My house seems to be infested with spiders. I have a totally irrational fear of them and was wondering if there's anything I can do to discourage them from living in my house or am I being really pathetic and should just get over it?!!

BBBee Sun 07-Sep-08 13:35:34

they don't like conkers - really - the conkers give off somethin that spiders can;t stand. Right time of year too - put them in the corners of the room etc.

mogs0 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:55:11

I've heard that from a couple of people but when I mentioned it recently I was laughed and told not to be so ridiculous!!!!

Ds collected hundreds last year and I only saw 1 spider in my flat but thought that might have been to do with us being on the 2nd floor! The back of the house we're in now is slightly below ground level so I'm not sure if the conker thing will work as well. I'll give it a go though!!

BBBee Sun 07-Sep-08 13:59:03

it is not like they are really ugly or expensive though so not much to lose. go on, get your coat...

mogs0 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:42:05

Will go and hunt for some after school tomorrow!!

Tinkerisdead Sun 07-Sep-08 16:04:21

my mum uses conkers round the house and it genuinely does work..

StayFrosty Sun 07-Sep-08 16:28:11

We use conkers too, need to renew cos a right beast has just wandered across the floor. However, I managed to defenestrate him without crying, being sick or defecating, so yay me.

TwoToTango Sun 07-Sep-08 17:21:03

The conker thing is really interesting - i've never heard of it but loads of conkers round here - where is the best place in a room to put the conker? The corners?

pageturner Sun 07-Sep-08 17:25:06

Citronella, apparently. A few drops in a water spray and squirt on doors, windows, skirtings etc.

StayFrosty Sun 07-Sep-08 18:20:36

Corners and pretty much anywhere you think they are getting in, eg we have some near the hatch to our roof space and near the manky damp cracked bath panel. I'm gonna go belt and braces with the citronella tomorrow. But I feel very proud of myself for momentarily conquering my fear this afternoon, even tho my legs are actually still a bit jellified 2 hours later.

mogs0 Sun 07-Sep-08 20:34:31

StayFrosty - well done for defenestrating it (not sure what the word actually means but am guessing it means getting rid in some form!!).

I find approx 10 a day but they're usually really thin legged ones so not too frightening but I did find a rather fatter one this morning that made me scream out loud!!!! I can cope with most crawlies but for some reason spiders really freak me out!

StayFrosty Sun 07-Sep-08 20:47:31

They are the stuff that nightmares are made of. I once heard, dunno if this is true, that phobias like spiders and snakes are so deep and resonant because of a shared memory of the time when they were poisonous, so it stems from a natural aversion that developed for evolutionary purposes. Whatever, they give me the right wiggins.

Lubyloo Sun 07-Sep-08 20:50:35

I have a spray that you spray around doors, windows etc. The spiders crawl over it and it poisons them. Lasts for several months. Harmless to children...deadly to spiders.

nannyL Sun 07-Sep-08 22:14:49

any idea what that spray is called or where to get it

(I hate spiders)

boogeek Sun 07-Sep-08 22:18:40

OOh, good tips here. I hate them too and we live in a house with some real monsters (luckily blush my next-door neighbour doesn't mind them - I have no shame, will call her in to get rid for me.)

Lubyloo Sun 07-Sep-08 23:04:54

NannyL - have just gone to get the spray so I could tell you what it is and I can't find it! shock I haven't used it since last winter and it has disappeared. I'm panicking as I need to spider proof the house.

I can tell you that I got it from Tesco and it is in a silvery grey spray bottle.If I manage to find it I will let you know.

StayFrosty Mon 08-Sep-08 00:11:12

The stuff you get from the vets to kill fleas kills spiders. What is it called, Advance? No that's the stuff you put on the cats. Pro something? I dunno.

I can't bear them but I can't bear killing them*. It's all very complicated.

*obviously they are acceptable collateral damage when de-fleaing.

KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 00:17:25

mice eat conkers though.

which would you rather have?

solidgoldbrass Mon 08-Sep-08 00:45:12

Yeah, conkers will attract mice, urgh. Bettaware do a spider-repellent spray that smells nice though I don't know if it's that effective.
I hgave an ongoing problem with tubeweb spiders, which are big and scary and lurk...

pageturner Mon 08-Sep-08 11:05:26

(Defenestration is throwing someone/something out of a window!)

mogs0 Mon 08-Sep-08 12:48:08

Ah, thanks. I should have guessed that really because ffenestr is the Welsh word for window!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now