Talk

Advanced search

Is it slovenly not to rewash laundry that has been rained on? and if so, why?

(22 Posts)
chisigirl Sun 07-Sep-08 09:51:32

trivial question of the day here...

So... my laundry has now been out two days because everytime it's almost dry, it gets rained on again!

My natural (slovenly) inclination is to leave it out until it dries but somewhere at the back of my mind I have this feeling that this may not reflect well on my housekeeping skills!

So, can someone set me straight and let me know if there is any reasons why I shouldn't do this? Thanks

Teuch Sun 07-Sep-08 09:53:08

leave it out! Life's too short to rewash clean washing grin

I used to do this btw...I have gotten over it.

<<awaits shaming by MN experts>>

notsoteenagemum Sun 07-Sep-08 09:56:02

I leave it unless it absolutely sodden then I rinse and spin it again only so it dries quicker though.

chisigirl Sun 07-Sep-08 09:56:58

Thanks, Teuch. So... why did you use to rewash it? that's the part I don't get!

smartiejake Sun 07-Sep-08 09:58:55

No never! What's so dirty about rain water? I always think clothes smell lovely when they have been rained on and then dried.

DoubleBluff Sun 07-Sep-08 10:11:37

WHy rewah it is only water, unless you live next to a toxic waste site(?)
I usually spin it oand put it back out

Bridie3 Sun 07-Sep-08 10:13:00

I never bother rewashing. Only spin if I urgently need one of the rained-on garments.

AbbeyA Sun 07-Sep-08 10:15:35

It would never even cross my mind to rewash clean washing that had been rained on! Don't think of it as being slovenly-think of it as helping the planet by saving on energy and giving it an extra rinse.

compo Sun 07-Sep-08 10:16:31

it is more slovenly to leave it out until it is dry (have you seen the weather forecast?!!)

LilRedWG Sun 07-Sep-08 10:18:03

My towels have just had this treatment. I eventually bought them inside to dry. They smell lovely and are really soft. But I understand the feeling that it's not quite right - have no idea why though. hmm

Minkus Sun 07-Sep-08 10:27:45

not slovelnly at all (however when it looks like rain on and off for a whole week you might want to get it in otherwise stuff fades. Like ds's new red tshirt now pinkblush)

chisigirl Sun 07-Sep-08 20:08:02

ahhhh, your responses are a balm on my guilty conscience. grin

cupsoftea Sun 07-Sep-08 20:09:13

Jut bring it in to dry - rewashing the washing - lol!

boogeek Sun 07-Sep-08 20:09:56

I have to get mine in and put it away quick because DH thinks it has to be rewashed once it has been rained on. He can't explain why, either.

cupsoftea Sun 07-Sep-08 20:11:37

let him rewash & dry it boogeek - he'll soon change his tune!

boogeek Sun 07-Sep-08 20:17:45

LOL. I'd be queueing for the washing machine a loooooong time ;)

mawbroon Sun 07-Sep-08 20:22:49

I don't normally bother, but last week, it had been really windy and the washing was covered in dust and rain (ie mud) so I had to re wash it. grrr.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 20:24:45

I had a thread about this a while ago, as it was pissing it down for days and it was so wet I did not bring my washing in, for 4 days!

The consensus seemed to be it is not slovenly to not rewash it, but does depend on where you live. Ie if you live by a motorway, would be a good idea to rewash (but then you would not have it out on the line in the first place would you?!).

mylovelymonster Sun 07-Sep-08 20:34:00

I would only re-wash if rain was silty - IYKWIM. Most of the time is fine. Might spin again if sodden tho.

nappyaddict Mon 08-Sep-08 10:54:52

What about in torrential rain?

WendyWeber Mon 08-Sep-08 11:01:14

I had a sodden load like that this week - it had been sprinkled on during the day, was just damp in the evening but the forecast said dry overnight hmm so I left it...brought it back in next day (I could hardly lift the laundry basket it was so heavy grin) re-spun it (re-span it? re-spinned it?) & put it on the airer.

We have a cement works up the road & the air here is permanently slightly dusty so in normal showery weather I might rewash but I reckon all the dust is well laid at the moment!

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 09-Sep-08 23:12:35

love the smell of rained on clothes. Sometimes bring in anf re-spin, otherwise just leave to dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now