Talk

Advanced search

Please help: mouldy sealant in bathroom.

(17 Posts)
navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 13:38:21

Hi everyone, we live in a rented flat and since we have moved in there are been bits of mould on the sealant in the bathroom. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and bleached and shouted and cried and stamped my feet but it wont shift!

It seems to be under the sealant if that makes any sense? It's not that much but it's driving me bonkers!

Anyone have any tips on removing it, I will do anything sad.

Mutt Fri 05-Sep-08 13:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cupsoftea Fri 05-Sep-08 13:39:50

Once had this & found a product in the diy shop that got most of it off - can't remember the name though - sorry

cupsoftea Fri 05-Sep-08 13:50:42

It was something like this www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9277760&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f% 2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=mould&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1220618936447&isSearch=true but it came in a tube

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 14:14:36

mutt say it isn't so :{

cupsoftes we have tried a spay made by pollycell I think and it did nothing. This is it www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-4294-Polycell-3-in-1-Mould-Killer-Spray-500ml.html do you thing the thing you got ina tub would be better? Is it like a paste?

southeastastra Fri 05-Sep-08 14:18:28

rip if off and do it again

LaTrucha Fri 05-Sep-08 14:18:41

If it's on the sealant I don't think you'll get it off. We've just taken all our old stuff out and put new stuff in. If you do it, and you get red in the face and you hate it, it does get better once you've got the knack.

Oh yes. When you're preparing, make sure the surfaces are bone dry. Otherwise it all just comes out again. Guess how I know?

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 14:30:33

Is it really hard / expensive though LaTrucha As we rent would be worried about messing it up! We have asked landlord to come and do it but he says it's not an issue but mould really freaks me out and I can't shower in peace. [inset weirdo emotion!]

LaTrucha Fri 05-Sep-08 14:52:04

It'a not expensive. A good sealant costs around £5.00 (we found Evostick - the cheap one bad). It's does take a while to get the old stuff out and there is a knack to putting the new stuff in and getting it smooth (a clean thumb seems to be as good as anything).

Say three hours for taking it out, leave to dry overnight, three hours to do and then leave to dry for five hours. You can go to the swimming pool for a shower. At least that's what we did. It does look much nicer afterwards.

B***d landlord, BTW.

Oh, and if you really are a freak, there's a grout whitener from Polcell that you can buy. That'll get the grout between the tiles nice and white too. Sorry .... is that just me? ....

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 18:55:14

My grouting is bleached and scrubbed with a toothbrush every single day, well the shower part at least not every bloody tile! Then floors are done once a week. I have a bit of a thing for discolouration it really gets me - does anyone know if it's a real phobia!

Mutt Fri 05-Sep-08 20:49:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

navyeyelasH Fri 05-Sep-08 21:02:15

I get out plenty thanks - and no it's not OCD; it's a genuine fear of mould and discolouration will normally lead to mould.

cupsoftea Fri 05-Sep-08 21:03:01

It was in a tube - it smelt strong - I think clear & it got most of the black bits away.

beansprout Fri 05-Sep-08 21:03:52

Doesn't need doing every day though. hmm

cupsoftea Fri 05-Sep-08 21:05:22

We only cleaned the shower as usual but only blasted the black mould when we moved out.

Jellyjuice Fri 05-Sep-08 21:12:44

Have you tried Dettol Mould and Mildew remover - it's in a bright green spray bottle and is really good!

navyeyelasH Sat 06-Sep-08 00:51:02

Jellyjuice we will give it a go thanks for the helpful tip.

cupsodtea I will keep my eyes open for that one too and hopefully it will work. As soon as the mould is gone I can have a bath! grin

beansprout My partner and I shower at least 4 times a day, we have no extractor fan in the bathroom and live in a hard water area. If it's not done every day it builds up (orangey colour first not mould obviously) rapidly and then takes twice as long to clean - even using a daily shower spray. I'd rather clean it daily and know it wont be there, than risk it creeping up.

Either way it's my bathroom and I'll clean it in whatever way I like; I'm a 24 years old and my flat is constantly a mess I am not trying to come across as some sort of domestic goddess. Although I do love a good --store bought-- cake!

Read this for a good idea of how much mould freaks me out. It has something to do with (I assume) a house I lived in as a child that has lateral subsidence (SP?). Even writing about it is giving me goose bumps [sick face]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now