Talk

Advanced search

A question I never thought I would ask - how do you (does one?) get lily stains out of one of those pvc table coverings?

(14 Posts)
GreenEggsAndSpam Thu 04-Sep-08 11:38:24

That's it really, the stamens shed a bit and I have yellow smears on my table covering. Water and kitchen spray don't touch it. Any ideas?

psychomum5 Thu 04-Sep-08 11:41:08

slightly diluted bleach???

mine has come out thro washing. I had lily stains on a cream cloth and sprayed it with vanish and bunged it in the wash......hung on the line (so the sun also naturally bleach it too), and it was out.

can you try that with yours if the dilute bleach has no joy?

NorbertDentressangle Thu 04-Sep-08 11:44:22

I find that pasta tomato-based sauces stain those PVC/oil cloth type table cloths really badly too so will be watching for tips .

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 11:47:45

Can't help with the lily stains but you stand a good chance of shifting tomato if you leave it in the sun.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 04-Sep-08 11:50:44

er.....what sun?

wink

Thanks for the tip!

psychomum5 Thu 04-Sep-08 11:51:05

ooh, soupdragon is right.....tomato stains come out fab in the sun!

NorbertDentressangle Thu 04-Sep-08 11:54:24

Its a shame I didn't know that a couple of weeks ago -I could have taken my tablecloth to Portugal with me.

It would have come back revitalised and refreshed like the rest of us smile

SoupDragon Thu 04-Sep-08 12:04:49

UK sun works too, it'll just take longer. Much longer.

psychomum5 Thu 04-Sep-08 12:07:34

if it helps....I washed DD1's little yellow skirt yesterday (too little skirt in reality, but that is a whole other rantangry).

it had a bolognaise stain right on the front, and it did not come out in the wash, and I have to say, I did not think it would either in the sun (as it was a cloudy windy day rather than very sunny).

it came out really well.

GreenEggsAndSpam Thu 04-Sep-08 12:20:39

Ok, will try the sun if it ever reappears...hmm Ta!
Is there anything I can try in the intervening eleven months though - I am wondering about the old 'can of coke down the loo, newspaper to clean windows' kind of thing...

psychomum5 Thu 04-Sep-08 12:22:10

vinegar works on limescale, if you want to try something new and donlt mind the chip-shop smell you will have.

it fizzes and everything, most satisfying experiment

GreenEggsAndSpam Fri 05-Sep-08 12:25:30

Thanks psychomum5 - I have now given vinegar a go... didn't work alas, but the smell came off after a bit smile.

Any other suggestions? The way the rain is coming down at the moment I fear the sun solution will not be a realistic one...

Do those house cleaning women on TV have a website I wonder....

SoupDragon Fri 05-Sep-08 12:51:47

Googling comes up with Dylon Stain Remover for Greasy Stains or Dr Beckmann Stain Devils for Mud, Grass & Make-up. Also says that sunlight does work with pollen in a lot of cases.

GreenEggsAndSpam Sun 07-Sep-08 18:59:38

Thanks Soupdragon. Will have a look at the shops tomorrow. Don;t know why I didn;t think to google it myself!
Am going for gladioli instead of lilies now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now