Talk

Advanced search

Kitchenaid help needed! Calling all Domestic Goddesses!

(18 Posts)
JacobsPrincess Wed 03-Sep-08 19:19:22

Had my Kitchenaid a couple of years now, but only ever make bread in it (about 3 times a week). Oh, and I use it for whipping up cream.
Want to make a fab sponge cake but my beater doesn't reach to bottom of the bowl - how do I adjust the height of the mechanism?
Thank you, in advance, for your help Ladies.

TrinityRhino Wed 03-Sep-08 19:20:24

<leaves thread>

<you wanted domestic goddesses....>

JacobsPrincess Wed 03-Sep-08 19:25:54

Trinity - you'll do!

I personally veer violently between slattern & Dom. God. status
grin

JacobsPrincess Thu 04-Sep-08 15:30:29

bump

andiem Thu 04-Sep-08 15:31:55

I use the whisk for making cakes but you need to do it for a really short time or they are over whisked iyswim so 30 secs for an all in one is enough

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 15:33:03

sorry too jealous of you having a Kitchenaid to be of any help at all - barely stopping myself flinging myself on the floor and drumming my heels!

<it's not a red one, is it?>

JacobsPrincess Thu 04-Sep-08 15:35:44

Matt grey to co-ordinate with the kitchen tiles! Couldn't handle a shiny one - too much hard work to keep it gleaming grin

So, any ideas on getting the mechanism to move down so my whisk reaches the bottom of the bowl?

andiem Thu 04-Sep-08 15:52:13

mine doesn't reach the bottom and it isn't a problem

seeker mine is red and has a red dualit toaster next to it grin

JacobsPrincess Thu 04-Sep-08 16:01:45

Mine has a chrome dualit toaster next to it!

Are you sure it's ok not to have whisk reach the bottom? It totally buggered up my attempts at meringue - there was runny egg under all the whipped up stuff.

dooneygirl Thu 04-Sep-08 16:02:31

I'm not sure if you have the same kind as I do, so I hope this helps. I have the Professional series one that doesn't have a tilting head, but has the bowl that lifts up to the mixer. If the bowl is down, there is a screw on the mixer above and behind the bowl. Take a screwdriver and turn that screw up or down to adjust the height. It doesn't take much of a turn to adjust it to where you need it. It will only go 90 degrees in either direction. Use the flat attachment to see if it is in the right place, because if the wire whip hits the bottom or sides of the bowl, it could lose the coating.

dooneygirl Thu 04-Sep-08 16:06:10

You NEVER want any of the attachments to reach the bottom of the bowl. You want them to be just above the bottom. If they hit the bottom, it won't take too long before you're in the market for a new attachment or bowl or both.

KA's are great, and I love mine. I got it for bread, like you, but they're not the best when it comes to mixing small quantities of things. That is best left to a cheap hand mixer.

andiem Thu 04-Sep-08 16:07:51

I have never had a problem and I don't think it is supposed to touch the bottom you could always scrape half way through with a spatula if you want

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 16:12:14

<seeker loses all control, flings self to floor and wails loudly>

andiem Thu 04-Sep-08 16:13:51

seeker shall I let you come to my house and stroke them wink

JacobsPrincess Thu 04-Sep-08 16:23:05

Yes Seeker, you can come and gently stroke my kitchen appliances, but make sure you don't leave finger marks!

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 17:41:12

<seeker looks up, sniffing and gulping and reaches for a duster to bring with her when she comes to stroke tha appliances>

CurrantBM Thu 04-Sep-08 18:08:37

I use mine all the time for cakes, all I do is stop half way through and scrape the side and bottom, then continue, everything is well mixed by then.

But, have have you ever used it for "mashed" potatoes? it is FAB, lump free, creamy, and no effort, try it!

JacobsPrincess Fri 05-Sep-08 09:00:52

Have a surplus of tatties at the moment, so I shall give the mash a go and freeze it for future use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now