Talk

Advanced search

OK you clever people, need a tall narrow bookshelf...

(14 Posts)
MarmadukeScarlet Wed 03-Sep-08 10:52:19

I am trying to organise storge for my DD's room (would like to bin the lot, but that's a different story) she has lots of books and precious things which her brother keeps breaking so need to be higher up.

The Cotswold Co. until about 2 weks ago did a white shelf unit which was less than 50cm wide and 150cms tall, but it has been discontinued.

I would like it to go between the windows so ideally it needs to be 50cms max, even if it wasn't there it would need to be fairly narrow as her room is round.

Pref white, although I can paint it if wood.

Please, before I drown under and avalanche of crap precious treasures.

TIA

serenity Wed 03-Sep-08 11:00:46

Billy bookcase - 40cm wide, up to 202cm tall, comes in white and is only £20 (obviously need access to an IKEA though smile)

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 03-Sep-08 11:30:19

That would do the trick - thank you (smile) I feel a visit to IKEA coming on!

SweetApril Wed 03-Sep-08 12:12:02

Yep, second that. Billy bookcases are great! We have ours fixed to the wall (think they come with a kit for that purpose??) so that we can fit maximum amount of precious treasures on it and no risk of it toppling onto dd as she reaches climbing phase...!

PigeonPie Wed 03-Sep-08 13:52:54

Third the Billy. DS2 has one that size in his current room. DS1 has the 80cm wide one - they're great. If you aren't able to actually get it in the car with the DCs you might be able to order online where delivery is much cheaper than it would be if you arranged it in store. We paid £15 delivery for some stuff a little while ago which would have cost £50 from the bods in the store.

BlingLovin Wed 03-Sep-08 14:01:13

And with Billy you can buy an extension to make it taller. we bought it, but haven't assembled the extension, but I find it reassuring knowing we have it for down the line.

WendyWeber Wed 03-Sep-08 14:07:56

Her room is round???

Another vote for Billy here smile

WendyWeber Wed 03-Sep-08 14:09:31

Oh, and you can buy extra shelves for it so you don't waste any space. Billy is one of the original classic IKEA pieces (and is much cheaper now than it was when I bought ours!)

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 03-Sep-08 14:48:48

Yes, her room is round.

We live in an oast house where they used to dry hops to make beer.

We have two kilns (roundels) and a barn.

Her room is 20ft diameter, dining room on ground floor and our bedroom is 19ft diameter with the kitchen on the ground floor linked (to the dining room).

They are two a penny where I live, although pretty lovely none the less.

I am convinced - I am going for the billy, will attach it to the wall to save DS squashing himself. Thanks for all the advice.

WendyWeber Thu 04-Sep-08 11:42:43

Oh you are very lucky envysmile

donnie Thu 04-Sep-08 11:44:57

oh I have been after a tall narrow bookcase for ages so I am crashing this thread shamelessly!!!

donnie Thu 04-Sep-08 11:45:41

MS your house sounds lovely!

Fizzylemonade Thu 04-Sep-08 12:40:41

envy oh my an oast house, well we don't have many in Yorkshire! I don't think hmm

Yes yes Billy Bookcase, ah Ikea, where would we be without you??? <ponders> I would probably have more money in my purse shock

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 04-Sep-08 14:55:54

Thank you for the kind comments re house, on the downside it is an absolute moneypit and was coverted badly by a DIYer in the 80's - so we are busy undoing some pretty expensive mistakes!

I have just found an Ikea credit note in my purse so by bookcase will be even cheaper!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now