Talk

Advanced search

cleaning my decanter......

(13 Posts)
murphyslaw Wed 03-Sep-08 09:16:57

Started to tackle those jobs I have been avoiding now my darlings have gone back to school!

My glass deceanter has stains in the bottom. I have tried soaking it in hot water/fairy and used a bottle brush but they are still not coming off.

Any suggestions???

IdrisTheDragon Wed 03-Sep-08 09:18:25

You can get special balls for cleaning them with - they might come from Lakeland and might be called magic balls. I will have a look.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 03-Sep-08 09:19:26

Here they are smile

pagwatch Wed 03-Sep-08 09:21:49

I just use rice with a bit of washing up liquid. Pour a small handful of rice in with a bit of liquid and a bit of hot water and swill...t

umbungo Wed 03-Sep-08 14:16:55

i think i heard somewhere that denture cleaning tablets, sterident, are quite good for cleaning glass vases, so maybe could work for decanter?
or hot water with bicarb, maybe?

pagwatch Wed 03-Sep-08 14:20:22

of course the real secret is to never let it be empty. Just swill and refil grin

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Sep-08 14:21:22

I seem to remember reading about using a dishwasher tablet?

But I may just have made that up ...

Decanters never empty long in this house!

georgiemum Wed 03-Sep-08 14:22:05

Lakeland magic balls. The Wine Society sells them too. Remember to pour them into a FINE sieve (seive?) or they will roll down your sink. blush

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 14:23:19

switch hot water and bicarb around and then pour in enough rice to cover the bottom.

shake vigourously.

georgiemum Wed 03-Sep-08 17:44:14

Oh, I love Bicarb. 1001 uses. Also... those fizzy tablets people use for cleaning false teeth also work (no I don't have false teeth before you ask).

maidamess Wed 03-Sep-08 17:45:14

You get the prize for ponciest thread title of the day.

Next week, dusting my chandelier.

pagwatch Wed 03-Sep-08 17:48:16

My DH likes port and my darling dad left me his decanter
so shoot me

Chippy Snyderson

murphyslaw Fri 05-Sep-08 13:14:48

thanks maidamess - I'll take that as a complement!!! blush

My house is like a tip! - now the kids have gone back trying to have a deeeeep clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now