Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does your cleaner have cigarette breaks?

(11 Posts)
elliephant Mon 01-Sep-08 21:40:10

Ok I accidentally aquired a cleaner a few weeks ago. I will admit that initially I was just grateful for the help and embarrassed about having someone hoover up my dust balls. But even my inner wimp is beginning to suspect that my gratitude may be making me a bit of a walk over. She comes for about three hours ( ten minutes late, leaves ten minutes early unless I notice and ask her to do something) once a week and in that time normally has about 3 or four cig breaks and sometimes a couple of coffees, and stops to answer calls on her phone. I was taken aback the first time I met her on her cigarette break - I went to hang out laundry and she was sitting on the patio having a puff. Today she downed tools and had a blazing row with someone on her phone for about 20 mins while I folded tea towels and pretended not to notice. The amount she does every week varies dramatically as well. On a friend's advice I timed myself last week and did nearly all she usually does in just under an hour and that was with a headache and eight kids and two cats in the house. Now she does have a list and if I keep reminding her of what to do she can get it all done. But I don't really like doing this and tbh need someone I can leave on their own. Oh and I pay her over the odds as well. Am i being mean to begrudge her a few breaks and should I be just glad that someone is willing to give the place a snake's lick. Or do I tell her to shape up or ship out, and if so, how?

NomDePlume Mon 01-Sep-08 21:41:16

Bin her

RubySlippers Mon 01-Sep-08 21:41:50

how can you accidentally aquire a cleaner?

RubySlippers Mon 01-Sep-08 21:42:22

but yes, you should get rid

maybe you can accidentally sack her grin

expatinscotland Mon 01-Sep-08 21:42:56

no, i gave up smoking.

Elmosgirl Mon 01-Sep-08 21:43:39

God good definitely bin her, I can't believe the cheek. Isn't the usual break times 15 minutes for 4 hours work or something?

Elmosgirl Mon 01-Sep-08 21:45:41

Er.... I meant good God obviously, think I should go to bed.

elliephant Mon 01-Sep-08 21:53:26

LOL Expat.grin Maybe I should leave some nicotene patches lying around for her next week.

RS her sister cleans for a friend of mine. My friend said she would ask around for some work for her cleaners sister. Having being in my house my friend immediatedly thought of me and asked was I interested. I muttered something non commital or so I thought. Next morning my cleaner arrived on the doorstep. I know she needs work so I would like to give her a chance but OTOH I know I am being a wimp.

specialmagiclady Mon 01-Sep-08 21:56:38

Why not give her the option to improve her work?

Sit her down and have a serious chat about it. You are employing her, she should do her job, but you should probably give her a chance to do better before you sack her.

A good cleaner should leave your house looking like a fuckin' hotel room, provided you've tidied up!

eandz Mon 01-Sep-08 21:57:59

replace her.
i've had the same problem in the past. with my first cleaner i was really lenient and she took advantage of it. she took advantage of my giving her a tip as well. and then i realized she was mixing things up and not moping properly like she had before and she came and went on her terms. it took me a while to accept that she was taking advantage of me. so i replaced her with a new woman. the new woman does take smoke breaks out of our kitchen window and i've told her that she won't be working for us when the baby comes. i've been trying out other cleaners lately.

BloodySmartarse Mon 01-Sep-08 22:02:37

our cleaner smokes, but not while shes working.
she has a lunch/tea break, but thats it.
im really v fond of her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now