Talk

Advanced search

How do I get rid of white spirit from clothes and washing maching?

(6 Posts)
LisaClapham Mon 01-Sep-08 13:53:20

My DH had an accicent with a large bottle of white spirit and a pile of clothes and decided that the best idea was to chuck them in the washing machine! hmm
Result is that the clothes STILL reek of white spirit, even after 5 washes. angry
The washing machine - even thought I have run several cycles on empty - still reeks of white spirit - I put in a towel to test the washing machine, and guess what - it came out reeking of white spirit.
I am at my wits end as have piles of washing mounting up and do not know what to do - does anyone have any ideas?

janmoomoo Mon 01-Sep-08 14:06:36

White spirit is not water soluble so washing wont get rid of it. Maybe try and leave the clothes to dry outside (in the sun??!) or on a radiator for a few days until it evaporates. Otherwise you need some sort of dry cleaning fluid ie solvent based which I think you can get in supermarket (or get them dry cleaned which would do it but expensive). Dont know what to say about washing machine tho.

twoluvlykids Mon 01-Sep-08 14:11:23

get some refills for pot pourri, the liquid, lavender is terrific for getting rid of smell. i chucked away the ruined clothes, when i did it, but the were only decorating ones anyway, and ran empty machine with the contents of one of the bottles. i got the little refill bottle from Cancer Research,only got couple quid. only needed one empty wash to get rid of smell.

frankie3 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:31:27

I had the exact same thing last week! I put the washing machine on at 90 degrees for a couple of washes and it got rid of the smell. Not very environmentally friendly though.....

LisaClapham Mon 01-Sep-08 16:10:03

thanks for all the advice - am gutted about having to get rid of the clothes though. I'll try dryng them out first - I take it no amount of washing them will sort this out?

janmoomoo Wed 03-Sep-08 17:04:53

I dont think washing is the answer. It needs to be got rid of with a solvent based cleaner or left to dry and evaporate away for a little while. Put them out on the line everyday until they stop smelling and they may be saveable/washable. Or why dont you ask someone in the dry cleaners what they think? I got petrol on my clothes once from an accident and this is what they told me. What a pain for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now