Talk

Advanced search

Emergency! Anyone tried washing Jellycat soft toys in washing machine?

(6 Posts)
SweetApril Mon 01-Sep-08 09:30:02

Hi. My DC has thrown up all over her favourite snuggle toy and it really stinks. It's one of the Jellycat ones with the beads in the feet. I'm a bit worried that they might swell up with water and it'll all be a disaster. Can anyone help/advise? Plus, do you think DC might reject said toy if it gets washed? It's not exactly sweet-smelling even without the sick but I've heard that it's bad to wash away the familiar smell. Thanks!

snickersnack Mon 01-Sep-08 09:31:34

I think (but please don't blame me if it doesn't work) you should be fine. At least in terms of the beads - pretty sure we've washed similar without problems. Can't vouch for the smell point though. I used to sling dd's rabbit into the wash every week so she never got a chance to become too attached to the smell.

Wheelybug Mon 01-Sep-08 09:33:43

Again, don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong (grin) but I have washed beaded toys in washing machine no problem (tumbled dried too). SOunds like it is better to risk it.

DD's rabbit(s!) gets washed frequently because she had the cheek to get attached to a white rabbit.

Can you see if you can get a replacement ?

pushchair Mon 01-Sep-08 09:38:59

Think beads are plastic at least the ones that leak from ours are and will be fine in washing machine.

silverfrog Mon 01-Sep-08 09:42:32

I have regularly washed dd2's jellycat giraffe, and it is fine. It does look washed, though (ie not as pristine as when new) but then again, if i headn't washed it then it would be minging by now, and certainly not pristine!

I haven't ever tumble dried, though - usually stick it on our towel rail to dry (have spare for her, so have always alternated)

SweetApril Mon 01-Sep-08 10:24:19

Thanks very much, everyone! I have handwashed it in the hope that it's enough to wash out the sick but not so thorough as to remove all the familiar smell. We made a big show of giving him a bath and blow-drying his hair and hanging him out to get a suntan so hopefully it'll all be all right. The colour didn't run (black and white - typical) and the beads look OK so I think he can go in the machine from now on. Now I just have to figure out how to get the smell out of the car seat - arghh!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now