Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Putting a wash on with no fabric conditioner...

(46 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 31-Aug-08 11:10:32

... is it a sign of a slattern or perfectly okay?

BroccoliSpears Sun 31-Aug-08 11:11:09

I never use fabric conditioner. Horrid slimy stuff.

littlelapin Sun 31-Aug-08 11:11:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 31-Aug-08 11:12:57

So my clothes aren't going to come out like cardboard then grin

TheProvincialLady Sun 31-Aug-08 11:16:46

I think it is the sign of a discerning housewife. It is such smelly, smelly stuff - the whole house reeks of it whilst the wash is on and then the clothes reek of it afterwards. I would rather smell of Chanel No 5 (but settle for Estee Lauder Pure White Linen!) than anything Persil et al could come up with.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 31-Aug-08 11:24:02

I never really smell the fabric conditioner on my clothes anyway, just thought it kept clothes soft?

I definately dont do ironing water - thats odd!!

i stopped using fabric conditioner years ago. my laundry is exactly the same as it was when i did use it! but now i have an extra £2 in my pocket!

Cies Sun 31-Aug-08 11:27:19

I've never ever used fabric conditioner. Weird stuff. And I line dry. Clothes come out fine. DH thinks our towels could double as sanding paper grin, but with a little scrunching after drying they're fine.

crokky Sun 31-Aug-08 11:28:53

Never use it - there's no need for it. I tumble clothes and they are lovely. I don't iron and I don't use fabric conditioner!

cece Sun 31-Aug-08 11:32:34

I think I read soemwhere that you can use white vinegar instead.... let me look....

NumberFour Sun 31-Aug-08 11:33:30

That's got me thinking! I always use softener. I hate that squeaky feeling some cotton things get if i don't use it. Hmmmmm. Myabe I should brave a load without it and give it a try.

I have used vinegar as a softener and found it perfectly fine! No smell, and soft and lovely. I do prefer unsoftened towels though. And yes, I def prefer line drying to tumbling.

shinyshoes Sun 31-Aug-08 11:33:53

I always use it. My clothes feel less 'crunchy'

cece Sun 31-Aug-08 11:34:02

Look on here

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 31-Aug-08 11:36:23

I have ran out, you see. I have a shopping order coming tomorrow, but none on the order (though i can add to).
But I want to do three washes today. And I cannot be bothered to go to the shop grin

mamadiva Sun 31-Aug-08 11:37:19

I haven't used fabric conditioner since my DS was about 2 months old because we both react to it. I find if you use liquid detergents your clothes don't go crunchy at all. But with some powders they do.

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 11:37:20

never never

slimy stuff

MatNanPlus Sun 31-Aug-08 11:38:31

using vinegar in laundry

ElfOnTheTopShelf Sun 31-Aug-08 11:41:03

Right then, I'm going to put in a white wash... if DD's knickers come out like cardboard, I'll be posting later!!

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 31-Aug-08 11:48:18

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Sun 31-Aug-08 11:49:15

I stopped using it a few months ago and, honestly, it hasn't made any difference to my washing. It's fine.

Like LL said - I have started reacting to washing liquids and softners so I just use Ecover washing liquid and that's it.

Lauriefairycake Sun 31-Aug-08 11:50:30

don't worry, knickers don't chafe without fabric conditioner grin

I have never used it in my life and my bits are still in tact.....

cece Sun 31-Aug-08 11:50:46

Can I recommend these as well. Have used them for a while now and the deliver free to your house....

SalLikesCoffee Sun 31-Aug-08 11:52:21

Sorry to hijack, but with vinegar - does it leave any smell? (I assume not, otherwise can't see so many people doing it, but just want to double check before doing the switch!)

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 15:42:09

I am reliably told no, am trying it on baby exersauser seat/bouncer chair seat and a towel to see before doing clothes.

P.S All needed washing as mucky so will post results later

SlartyBartFast Tue 02-Sep-08 15:43:19

i never use it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now