Talk

Advanced search

Weekend Flylady - Forget the house and have some family time :)

(56 Posts)
EustaciaVye Sat 30-Aug-08 07:27:45

As the title says, go about your day....

EustaciaVye Sat 30-Aug-08 07:56:00

Ok, Family Fun Day is all very well but you lot are all still in bed arent you! envy

Simply Sat 30-Aug-08 08:05:09

No, I'm not! I've been sat here for half an hour or more e-mailing. Mainly my sibings to share the good news that my new au pair arrived last night and she is utterly lovely! grin She is friendly, dh fetched her from the airport and said she is highly intelligent and very keen to learn, clearly going to go places; she likes ds and dd who had stayed up late to meet her, she likes her room....oh, I'm so pleased!

Thanks for the thread EV. We're going away this w/e, coming back tomorrow so yes, I will be forgetting about the house for a bit (have done tons the last few days getting the holiday laundry done and putting things up in the attic) and enjoying some family time. Have a good w/e all. smile

RupertTheBear Sat 30-Aug-08 08:20:04

I'm here too. Saw you on the newbie thread last night EV - I assumed you had been here ages!
We are away this weekend too, going to the outlaws in Manchester. We are hoping to take the DCs on the Manchester Big Wheel later - has anyone been? And I am back to work on Monday, and Mia starts school on Tuesday so I probably won't be around much until Thursday. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 08:22:33

Morning EV & Simply & EVERYONE ELSE

Wish I was still in bed EV, been sat on my bum watching kids tv for past hour or so!

Have a good one all, I'm off to get dressed and go for a wander in the village before everyone shuts up shop for the rest of the weekend!

bbl xx

Bewilderbeast Sat 30-Aug-08 08:33:40

morning all

waves to ev simply lucysmam rupert grouchy and everyone else

done

tidied kitchen and living room
emptied bin
unloaded and reloaded wm
10 mins on the Wii Fit

EustaciaVye Sat 30-Aug-08 08:53:34

I have really Rupert - a few years actually blush. Just like to gatecrash occasionally grin

ludaloo Sat 30-Aug-08 09:00:10

Morning all

simply HI smile I keep meaning to mail you to see how things are.....BRILLIANT news on the au pair front! I bet you are very pleased indeed. smile

Its actually quite a nice day today!!!!!!!! shock

May have to go out!

cikecaka Sat 30-Aug-08 09:40:14

Getting ready to head out to Musical Rascals with DD3. Pure bliss, my time to spend an hour fun time with her once a week.
Good Morning everyone smile

TheMadHouse Sat 30-Aug-08 10:21:04

Morning all

I was still in bed, infact only got up 10 mins agao. DH takes on the responsibility of getting up with the boys in Sat and I do the same for him on a sunday - PURE BLISS

All the mouring routines are done - DH I love you

Now to decide what to do today - we are off out somewhere as a family

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 11:26:02

luda parcel is on the way, PO was lovely and quiet this morning.

had a nice wander round village & in charity shop, picked up couple of bits for lo for xmas & a garden book for me. Oh is still fixing bike and other than that am doing nothing all day!

lilolilmanchester Sat 30-Aug-08 11:30:20

Family out, so here on my own. House is a tip, so should be using the time for housework but MN far more interesting! Don't usually post on a Sat morning, hadn't realised how active it is!

RubyRioja Sat 30-Aug-08 11:55:20

Hi all
am making most of nice weather on basis new term means new mess and copportunity to bin stuff whilst dds at school grin

bbl

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 12:01:41

Hello BWB EV EMH Luda Simply Lucy's Sxatty TMH anyone I've Missed and Welcome to the returnees and Newbies

Family Day huh?...I was going to take Ed to the kittle town that is a world heritage site but DH says we should do it as a family day. Fair enough but every other Saturday he buggers off to watch League 1 football, then want's the Sunday to relax hmm ah well, at least I thought about it

Having difficulty with Ed as he assumes everything that happens is an absolute given and it happens automatica,lly. My Fault I suppose. I have creayed a spoilt brat on a tight budget.

TMH envy at your lie in. You damn well enjoy it.

Done
Up and washed
S&S bathroom
Down with laundry
Up to clean bathroom
Clean and dust bedroom
Clean doors on landing
Load and run DW
Load and run WM
Clean hob
Clean surfaces
Clean out the sink drain
Clean sink
Clean out the oven (I used soda crystals and hot water. Lifted the burnt on gunk that Mr Muscle won't touch!)
Empty WM
Sort into drying piles
Empty DW
Put away
Mop all downstairs floors
Mop all upstairs floors

To Do

Put dry washing away
Create an ironing pile
Get Ed's stuff ready for Monday
Do ironing
Vac carpets

Having a well earned rest atm. My legs are screaming at me.

rowingboat Sat 30-Aug-08 13:08:28

Hi all
Thank you for the thread Eustacia I was totally in bed, the LO had a lovely lie-in until just before nine. grin Mind you he was up and down all night, so that's probably why. shock
Simply an au pair how posh! grin Where is she from? Will you be getting free language lessons?
TMH what a lovely DH you have. Hope you enjoyed your lie-in (Which is not much of a lie-in by most standards. grin)
Grouchy I do hope your legs are feeling better soon - have a nice bun and a cuppa and watch 'One tree hill' It's awful, but very addictive.
We had Cloverfield out last night - has anyone seen it? It was not at all what I expected kind of 'Blair Witch' meets 'Jurassic Park'.
We are just getting ready to go now - and there is internet access. Yay! So I will definitely check in and see what everyone is up to. smile
Better go and empty the fridge, don't to come back to week old tuna - Peeeuuw!
Everyone have a great weekend!

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 13:15:56

grouchy, just to be a pita, would you explain the soda crystals to clean oven to me? I've invested in a bottle of white vinegar & you were right about it getting off grubby marks! You're coming up with stuff I've never heard of!

Mad envy your lie in

rowingboat have a nice time wherever you're going! smile

Ruby new term = new mess? Surely it can't be that bad <terrified of being taken over by lots of clutter when lo starts school!!>

Oh thinks bike's fixed this time so gone for a ride, fingers crossed the wheels don't fall off grin. I'm investigating growing our own veggies but not coming up with anything to give me any straightforward simple instructions that I actually understand! oh well, back to google I go . . .

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 14:11:47

Lucys Your not a PITA. I'll try anything once and I love the fact I can report back on my findings, must be the scientist in me.

Soda crystals or Washing soda is a water softener and has been used over 200 years for cleaning. I'm not too sure exactly how it works but hell, it does.

I put a roasting tin of boiling water with some soda crystals in the oven on low for 1/2 hr. The steam softens the grease etc. Then I sprinkled crystals on the cooker bottom and used the hot steaming water to wipe it off. Then I used a water and vinegar spray to wipe of the residue. The cloths were totally filthy so something worked!

Links that might help are here and here

The Crystals were less than 60p for 1kg and the vinegar is 53p a large bottle and a bag of lemons is about 99p and that'll clean anything!

ludaloo Sat 30-Aug-08 14:45:44

Hello

GO oooohhhh I'm going to try that....sounds great.

lucys thanks smile I'll let you know when they arrive.

I have put off food shopping today in favour of cleaning hmm that just goes to show how much I don't want to go shopping!!

Kids are all in the garden, guinea pigs are in their run.... its quite overcast but it is warm and dry.

Lucysmam just spotted you want to grow veggies..... Me Too!!
I'm getting everything ready ATM to grow them next year (apparantly its a bit late to start now)
I'm going to by big pots to put in the garden.
I'd like to grow lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers....may invest in a small green house type thing for the tomatoes.
I think growing veggies is reletively easy hmm or so I'm told!

I want to do a compost pile too.....

You'll have to let me know how you get on smile we can swop tips grin

ludaloo Sat 30-Aug-08 14:54:24

lucys I've just found
this

It isn't too late to start after all. I think you need a greenhouse though.

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 15:15:50

Lucys and Luda I've been growing stuff for a couple of years with Ed. I've worked a few bits out on what to and not to do

I grow things in buckets. 30l builders buckets are 99p in B&Q. Just drill holes in the bottom for drainage. I'm growing pumpkins in a growbag cut in half. The big crates that cost about £2 are good too. We have grown lettuces and we are waiting for the tomatoes to ripen. I've been told chinese greens like bok choi do well as winter crops

Those mini greenhouses are really good. They do blow over in the wind so put a slab in the bottom

Don't overcrowd your plants...they won't grow properly. My next lot I will grow in a plug tray and then plant them out.

Peas and beans like sun! It is worth protecting them with mesh to ward off the slugs n snails

Hang on there is a gardening topic!

I am an ethusiastic amatuer grin

a huge tub of chicken manure is a great plant food if you want to be organic

ludaloo Sat 30-Aug-08 16:06:14

Oh GO I know where to come to for help.
I have read through a few of the threads in the gardeners section, they seem handy too.

I've been sat on the computer for the last half an hour looking at greenhouses...they do small ones, but enough room to walk in at quite reasonable prices.

We have absolutely masses of slugs ATM...I went to feed the guinea pigs last night and I counted at least 10 just around the back door alone! [yuk]

I haven't actually bothered to explore all the topics here on MN! There are loads of other thread topics! blush I've been a bit FLY thread bound all these years!

I've managed to buy some more clothes for my DD2, I'm on the look out now for my DD1. She needs jumpers and long sleeve top ready for winter. For some reason 6-7 years doesn't crop up so much. All the MN sellers must have younger kids. Its very good though....I found the MN swop thread and they have all been doing a summer holiday swop, a bit like the Christmas Secret Santa thread....I missed out on that one!

Anyway....my eyes are going a bit square now so I had better go and bring the washing in and sort out some supper!

smile

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 16:15:49

Slugs....invest in a hedgehog! The yard slug issue went when one moved in

WD40 sprayed round the pot will stop the beggars crawling up into then

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 16:17:10

Or stick em in the compost bin. The blighters should do some good

TheMadHouse Sat 30-Aug-08 17:12:36

Afternoon all

We have been to the park and have a sandweich luch out - it was lovley.

I grow stuff too in pots, although DH has promised be raised beds this year.

We grew spuds in barrels, peas, runner beans, spinnach, carrots (not great), strawbs and Itoo am waiting for the toms to ripen

WIll be back later - as DS2 is being very demanding

grouchyoscar Sat 30-Aug-08 17:52:20

Put Edd to bed for being too demanding. He is getting way to much at the moment so hopefully being back at school will shock it out of him

I've rested up and I've put away the massive pile of laundry in the bedroom, mostly from the holiday. I will sort out the last of Ed's uniform later.

Going to dig out my Grow your own veg book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now