loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often do you replace duvets?

(16 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Fri 29-Aug-08 22:39:41

Message withdrawn

Guadalupe Fri 29-Aug-08 22:41:27

When shaking won't stop all the feathers from gathering on your feet with a thin bit by your head.

SlartyBartFast Fri 29-Aug-08 22:41:51

gulp, never

Overmydeadbody Fri 29-Aug-08 22:43:51

I think a good one should last about 50 years surely?

As Guadalupe said, when shaking them doesn't even the feathers out any more.

Mine are only 8 yrs old and DS's ones are 3 years old so plenty of life left in them yet I hope!

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 22:44:23

mine must be about 4 yrs old. I buy cheap ones and they normallyl ast about that length of time, or might become guest ones, if i buy a new one.

However the one on dd's bed is from M&S the one I had as a kid!!!!, when they were those new fangeled things in about 1978!!!!!

Yorkiegirl Fri 29-Aug-08 22:45:36

Message withdrawn

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 22:45:48

good grief that makes dd's 30 yrs old, AND i used it thru college shock!!!

it's been dry cleaned, loads, and it is STIll great.

SlartyBartFast Fri 29-Aug-08 22:46:31

snap, ds has my old feather one, i loved it, would love a kingsize feather for me and dh but the expense

ShyBaby Fri 29-Aug-08 22:49:18

Do you all still have feather duvets?

Mine must have been about 20 years old (stolen with consent from my mum when I left home). I got rid of them and the feather pillows when ds's asthma was at its worse, bought horrible anti allergy bedding etc.

It nearly killed me to see those comfy things being chucked out! We have cheapy ones now and I just bung them in the washer.

ShyBaby Fri 29-Aug-08 22:50:38

Worst

piratecat Fri 29-Aug-08 22:51:02

maybe dd's )or my old one) is feather/ not sure. it has the old red 'St Michael' label, it's a bloody relic!!

SlartyBartFast Fri 29-Aug-08 22:51:12

no asthma in this house

ShyBaby Fri 29-Aug-08 22:59:58

Ds hasn't (touch wood) had an asthma attack for about 5 years now....hhmmmm. I'd love my feather pillows back, mine are so uncomfortable.

Yorkiegirl Fri 29-Aug-08 23:33:58

Message withdrawn

ShyBaby Sat 30-Aug-08 00:03:02

Oh I wasn't trying to say they caused/contributed to it. I just went through everything I possibly could at the time and my poor duvets were some of the things I threw out just in case.

They are comfy though, really nice (finds herself flicking through argos).

nannyL Sat 30-Aug-08 10:07:06

Im allergic to feathers...

the 2 i had as a child are now here at my house... they must be 27 / 20 years old respectively

they have been washed in a normal washing machine at least yearly at 60C... they are still as goos as new IMO... and if / when i have children i see no reason why i wouldnt use them for them....

on my current bed i have 2 duvets (summer and winter) they are both cheap duvets, and less than 2 years old... i tore the casing on my summer duvet while changing the cover (I have no idea how hmm) so it hasnt lasted as well and im sure will be binned in a few years!
im being more careful with the other one...

but next time i plan to buy ones with a cotton cover rather than that papery type stuff that is trying to be material!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now