Talk

Advanced search

Boring but I need some advice about cleaning floors please...

(4 Posts)
champagneSupernova Fri 29-Aug-08 20:55:43

Coupla questions for the wisdom of Mumsnet

1 the unvarnished wood floor in my dining room - what's the
best way to get it clean?

2 professional carpet cleaning in sitt rm - how much should I be paying? Any recommendations for companies?

TIA

AnotherFineMess Fri 29-Aug-08 20:59:30

Sorry can't help with 1.

2 - recently had our living room carpet steam-cleaned (it's about 16' x 12', lightly soiled - ha!) and it only cost £30. Was very pleased with result. It was a local company (Birmingham area) so will dig out details if that's close to you. Otherwise, I recommend looking in your local free paper's small ads for numbers, that's where we got these from.

SqueakyPop Fri 29-Aug-08 21:07:01

1) Firstly, why don't you varnish your wood??? If you need to clean it, then you need to keep it as dry as possible. I would recommend the Flash power mop that uses a good detergent, but leaves the floor dry.

2) ISTR iro £70

onepieceoflollipop Fri 29-Aug-08 21:10:07

Re the wooden floor, ours is only laminate but afaik most wooden floors whether wood, laminate, varnished or whatever should never be made really wet.

With our laminate (and probably similar with your floor) most of the dirt is fluff/hair/dust so I just vacuum it regularly especially round the edges. I would never mop a wooden floor. Under the table or for any spillages/stains I give it an occasional wipe over with a very well wrung out cloth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now