Talk

Advanced search

out of date lean beef mince?

(7 Posts)
stressed2007 Tue 26-Aug-08 11:46:56

Advice please. I bought loads of lean mince (goodness knows what I was thinking - maybe that I was cooking for about 20?) and did n't check the date. It was sell by Aug 23( or maybe 24) and use by aug 25. Would anyone risk cooking it now and using it to make shepherds pie to eat now and then to freeze? It looks fine - not turning grey or any such like. Shall I risk it? Such a shame to throw out so much meat.

Ceolas Tue 26-Aug-08 11:49:21

Smell it. I probably wouldn't but if it smells OK I'm sure lots would.

LynetteScavo Tue 26-Aug-08 11:50:56

If its' not turning grey, adn smells OK, it will be fine.

Shitehawk Tue 26-Aug-08 12:01:04

If it looks and smells OK I'd use it. You can generally tell with mince whether it's gone off at all.

I'd use most things a day after their use-by as long as they looked and smelled OK; it's only a few hours when all said and done.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Tue 26-Aug-08 12:37:51

Oh it will almost certainly be ok - only one day past use-by. If it was chicken/pork/fish it might be a bit iffy but I would definitely cook it and freeze as you suggest. And I'm really quite neurotic careful about use-by dates!

stressed2007 Tue 26-Aug-08 13:51:23

thanks - off to start it now - if DH doesn't see packaging he won't complain. Can you imagine if I give him food poisoning!

LynetteScavo Wed 27-Aug-08 22:01:22

stressed, did you die?

Do you have severe food poisoning??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now