Talk

Advanced search

Fruit flies how to get rid of them

(4 Posts)
sdc1110 Sun 24-Aug-08 20:40:43

I have bleached my kitchen and drain there is no food on the top and still the little bastards are appearing.
How do you get rid of them please?

callmeovercautious Sun 24-Aug-08 20:47:55

Do you have fruit in a bowl? Have the DC left banana skin somewhere? They have a very short life cycle so if you get rid of the fruit they are feeding on they will be gone in about a day.

Another thought - do you have a compost heap near the house? Ours is full of them atm. I just caught one taking a swim in my red wine sad

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 24-Aug-08 20:52:45

some remedies on Franny's recent thread

rachelp73 Sun 24-Aug-08 20:54:01

Oh yes, in our house they are known as wine flies, as christened by DH who becomes apopleptic when one of the blighters hovers near his wine glass. As soon as I see one (not very often), I immediately check the fruit bowl and lo and behold usually find a piece of fruit with an over-ripe or mouldy bit to it.

And god, after an experience on holiday of putting some peelings on a compost heap, I have vowed never to start my own off - I took the lid off, and I'm not messing, there seemed to be a solid mass of them hovering in the air. A storm cloud of fruit flies, it was. I was scared to breathe for fear of inhaling some. So disgusting.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now