Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is your fave air fresher for the living room?? (not the Spray can ones)

(28 Posts)
biglips Sun 24-Aug-08 10:10:40

thanks

chonky Sun 24-Aug-08 10:21:57

opening the window (not being flippant btw) it really will clear the smell of dog/ poo etc. the quickest

Personally I hate any artifical scenty things, they all reek. Open windows as suggested. I also find running the hoover round and over my furniture and curtains seems to help (but then I have dogs ...grin)

In desperation, mix a few drops of essential oil in a spray bottle of water and mist lightbulbs and radiators.

artificial

My fingers are dysfuntional today!

blush

I give up!

chonky Sun 24-Aug-08 10:26:28

or you could add a couple of drops of essential oil to your vacuum cleaner bag when hoovering.

sarah293 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:27:05

Message withdrawn

MrsFearnleyWhittingstall Sun 24-Aug-08 10:34:06

Thr plug in things are bad for asthmatics too.

kikid Sun 24-Aug-08 10:41:09

I just vacum and damp dust also have plenty of ventilation this seem s to do the trick,

I do think the whole air freshner thing is propagander. V bad for our health imho.

Flower3554 Sun 24-Aug-08 10:41:12

I have a globe air freshener. Its not cheap but I love it.

It works off electricity and you half fill with water add a couple of drops of essential oil of your choice and switch on.

Think I read that it sucks in dirty air, washes it then chucks clean air back out lightly scented but I'm a bit sceptical about that part.hmm

MindingMum Sun 24-Aug-08 10:50:19

While reading this thread something has just occured to me...

I bought one of those plug ins for the living room last week and i love it, doesn't smell artificial or chemically, just really fresh but DD2 has a wide range of allergies - pollen, anti -persperants (sp?), certain sanitary towels, washing powder etc and she has had streaming eyes and runny nose for days and i've been chucking everything out that i could think of but i bet it's my plug in - god I'm thick blush

<<<<MM rushes into living room to open windows and bin plug in>>>>>

MindingMum Sun 24-Aug-08 10:52:29

And i'm double thick cos yesterday when she was out, i was having a lie down on the sofa (very near the plug in) and i woke with a headache too - some people aren't safe to be parents !!!!

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 24-Aug-08 14:04:42

Fresh air is the nicest, but when its gets to cold to open the patio doors I use the yankee wax tarts, lovely smells and I dont find them artificial at all. They use a candle though so use is limited compared to plug ins etc.

ellideb Sun 24-Aug-08 14:10:54

I hate all things artificial like the plug-ins and the sprays etc so in order for my abode to smell lovely and fresh I just buy fresh flowers once a week/every fortnight and find that they make the rooms smell gorgeous and subtle.

For something stronger I occasionally burn pure essential oils like lavender and jasmine. So much better for you then the crappy artificial stuff IMO.

I do open the windows to get some fresh air in sometimes but I hate it when fly's get in so I don't do it too often. My house has high ceilings and thick walls so it doesn't often get stuffy and the temperature tends to stay the same inside regardless of the weather outside. I'm waffling now. grin

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 24-Aug-08 14:16:02

I hate any plug in/spray/air freshener - fresh air is best, a decent scented candle if you must.

biglips Sun 24-Aug-08 14:40:44

i would love to have my windows open but i live on the main road that lorries/buses and cars go pass every day and its so noisy in our living room. So i do second fresh air too.

themoon66 Sun 24-Aug-08 18:42:39

I prefer to open windows. I do spray a bit of fabreeze on the rug and sofa seats about once every couple of months.

Madlentileater Sun 24-Aug-08 18:44:58

open windows!
Only in extreme circs (inaccessible dead rodent) have I been driven to lavender oil in water.

expatinscotland Sun 24-Aug-08 18:47:23

essential oils in a burner or a stick of incense.

blossomsmine Sun 24-Aug-08 23:10:44

I like to open the windows, but also agree about getting annoyed when the flys come in. I love Yankee candles, the only candles i have found that have a scent that lingers. I pick one of the lightly scented ones.

barking Sun 24-Aug-08 23:17:17

to try and create a relaxed yet alert ambience, i use lavender and peppermint oil in a plany spray bottle, put it on fine mist setting and spray all over house and children

KerryMum Sun 24-Aug-08 23:20:05

open the windows.

that stuff is worse then freakin cigarette smoke to your lungs.

When I was in Austria the mosquitos were very bad. Everyone local kept telling me to get these plug in things that emitted a constant spray of insecticide into the room that ds1 and I would be breathing in.

ffs.

Anyway, my point is anything like that you are breathing in.

so open the window.

ilovemydog Sun 24-Aug-08 23:23:15

vanilla candles

Heated Sun 24-Aug-08 23:26:49

Plug-ins give me headaches & am convinced they are not good for you.

Have used a Laura Ashley room spray to disguise the smell of drying wool carpet before visitors arrived. Also previously used Neutradol which is said to absorb smells.

Does anyone remember Shake'nVac?

sushistar Sun 24-Aug-08 23:30:29

There are some NASTY chemicals in air fresheners - see here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now