Talk

Advanced search

how much is reasonable to ask for 15 bags of hardly worn baby stuff in 0-18mths?

(16 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:39:20

most of it is hardly ever worn stuff that my lo wore once or twice and then grew out of. I'm feeling a bit gutted that I have to sell it anyways so don't want to just give it away to someone but not sure what would be reasonable price to put on it in local paper/Tesco

wotulookinat Sat 23-Aug-08 22:37:30

How about breaking it down into sizes, 0-3, 3-6 months and so on, and selling them as bundles on Ebay?

PinkTulips Sat 23-Aug-08 22:41:12

not sure anyone would buy all that as one bundle. definitely break it into smaller bundles for a start.

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 22:41:23

i was going to, but, if i start it at say 99p per bag (just as an example) and only 1 person bids 99p, then I'm going to be really gutted about clearing it all out & won't have much to show for it iyswim.

schneebly Sat 23-Aug-08 22:43:18

bundles tend to sell really well - make sure the stuff is clean and ironed and take good pictures - name any designer stuff or 'good' brands to get people interested. If you are worried about low bids then you can start the bidding higher or put a reserve on it?

tortoise Sat 23-Aug-08 22:44:02

Separate into ages and list as a buy it now and allow offers. Put price slightly above what you would like to allow for a lower offer.

wotulookinat Sat 23-Aug-08 22:44:38

It is a risk you take, but having a low start price means that you pay a lower listing fee AND you attract more bidders who are out for a bargain. Have your auction end at a busy time - 8pm Sat / Sun night is a good time, right at the start of a month when people have dosh.
And use a courier so you know what the cost will be for postage - I use parcel2go who do a service for Ebay that is £7odd.
Put in your listing that it will be by courier.
Put other important things that apply and attract customers, if they apply, such as smoke-free home, pet-free home, washing in non-bio etc etc.

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 22:44:46

Well start it at a price that you will be happy for it to go for.

You either want small bundles that weigh less than a kilo for cheap 2nd class post or
huge bundles that you can send cheaply by courier.

If you have any very expensive stuff like Monsoon etc then make a small bundle of that then a huge bundle of everything else. You need to sell it at the right season too so you could do a 0-6 months autumn winter bundle in a couple of weeks time.

I think you should be looking at around 50p per basic outfit/cardigan but less for vests/tights/t-shirts. Really car boot sale prices.

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 22:52:12

thanks for the advice, will start separating & ironing tomorrow now it's all washed and maybe just try a few items to start with to see what I get for them. I just don't want to end up feeling cheated, even though my lo has had her use from them and they are just lying around!

wotulookinat was going to put 2nd class or pick up only for larger bundles if i did list but will have a look for a courier as well. thanks

smile

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 22:59:28

Things like 4 or 5 "outfits" should weigh less than a kilo (use your kitchen scales to check & remember to allow for wrapping/tape) starting bid of £4.99 plus postage so if they sell it would at least be a £1 per outfit hopefully quite a bit more.

I sometimes think individual things don't sell for much because postage is so high.

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 08:38:28

CarGirl, think I'll try that with the few I'm going to put on there this afternoon when mil takes lo out.

Flower3554 Sun 24-Aug-08 08:43:04

Lucysmam can you let me know if and when you put any 9-12 months, girls only, clothes up for sale, I'd be very interested.

pveitch@fsmail.net

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 08:53:07

Flower, yeah that's no problem. Whereabouts in country are you ish as I have quite a lot you'd be more than welcome to pick through if you were close smile

Flower3554 Sun 24-Aug-08 09:25:42

I'm in the North East, not far from Newcastle. I don't drive though so it wouldn't be possible I'm afraid.

If you let me know what you have I'll be happy to have it posted to me.smile

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 09:27:38

oh, never mind it was juat a thought, will have a look while lo is out later on and mail you a list n some pictures so you can have a look smile

Flower3554 Sun 24-Aug-08 09:29:53

Thank you, that would be greatsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now