Talk

Advanced search

My bedroom is embarrassing

(6 Posts)
blossomsmine Sat 23-Aug-08 17:15:56

My ds has a friend staying this week, he comes once a year as lives the other side of the country...Last year i spent ages running to my bedroom to make sure the door was shut as the room is such a mess it is embarrassing!! Ok....he is here again a year later and i am still running backwards and forwards making sure he can't see the disgusting mess in my room blush
The thing is, i am TRYING to sort it out, i spent days the other month doing the paperwork but it still ends up in files thrown on the floor, then things spill out of it and it just gets worse. I have vacumn backs all over the place, half filled and some open from where i filled them up and then keep needing the stuff so just leave them down on the floor open now. My wardrobe is falling to pieces and most of the clothes are hanging outside the wardrobe on on top of a chest or drawers. I keep the ironing pile in my room so thats always a mess...........Oh god it is always getting on top of me and depressing me.... I am not in much during the day due to work and out most evenings running kids to their clubs etc., so time is hard to come by.... Am i the only one living in such a mess???
I hasten to add i try and keep all the other rooms clean and under control, this room is just a never ending jobsad

RubyRioja Sat 23-Aug-08 17:19:52

No it is easy for a non-public room to get out of hand.

If it is that untidy, there is probably too much in it.

How about, go in with bin liner and dump rubbish - I think bills (unless INland Rev) can be dumped after 12 months max). Bin any tatty clothes.

Then go in and retrieve clothes that you wear on a regular basis and any special occasion or seasonal clothes you still like and fit. Put in sitting room.

Do your ironing and put clothes for others away and yours in sitting room.

Then go back to room and be ruthless.

Then clean it thoroughly. Make up bed and put clothes away.

Then do weekly is my best suggestion!

There's a fun project for a bank holiday weekend!

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 17:21:31

my bedroom is exactly the same!!! stuff everywhere in there but the rest of the house is fairly orderly so try not to worry about it. i've tried having a 15 minute de-clutter once a week and a general tidy either before getting into bed or when getting dressed, just popping stuff back in boxes or drawers help. I'm hoping that we will eventually have a nice organised bedroom without the car seat/baby walker/ bouncy chair/box of ebay stuff and everything else at the end of my side of the bed but can't see it.

PinkTulips Sat 23-Aug-08 17:25:49

my room is the same.

i clean thouroughly every few weeks and get it nice and within a day the kids have run rampage throug it, i've dropped loads of clothes on the floor and it generally looks like a bombsite again blush

oddly enough, it's clean.... i just can't control the mess! the floor is like an obstacle course!

Debs75 Sat 23-Aug-08 17:57:32

I too am the same by the time you have the kitchen cleanand hygenic, the living room hoovered and all kids toys put away then the bathroom cleared up you just can't be bothered and think sod it i can sleep in this bed, if only i could get to it. We have locks on our bedroom doors to keep son from trashing them so I don't worry about others seeing the mess and find that I am pretty immune to it if im tired. With baby no 3 on the way and no spare room there is less and less floor space now, when the kids are back at school i will attempt to tidy it

blossomsmine Sat 23-Aug-08 18:44:17

You are all so lovelysmile you know, i was dreading coming back on here and seeing what your response to my post was.....I was dreading the 'you lazy cow, just get on and do something about it...' thing. Ruby, your post is great, i know it should be obvious but the way you just spelt out what i need to do is brilliant, thanks. If i am honest, i am not sure i can do it this weekend, what with ds's friend round and we are out tomorrow and i am working Bhol morning and at a bbq in the afternoon, but i can try and put a day or so aside for it next week. I am sorry some of you other mnetters are in the same position, as someone else said, it is just so easy to let it all build up and then it is too hard to get going, it is over whelming. I also know what you are saying, Debs, that you are just so tired by the end of the day, i manage to climb over everything and just fall in bed!!!blush
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now