Talk

Advanced search

fruit cake flour - can a mix of plain and spelt flour be equivalent to wholemeal?

(11 Posts)
ipanemagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 09:54:23

I'm half way through a good housekeeping book recipe for a fruit cake (loaf tin type made with fruit soaked overnight in cold tea) and realised it asks for wholemeal rather than plain.

It's 12 oz fruit
8 oz wholemeal flour

But I do have plain and spelt flour. Would say 6 oz plain flour and 2 oz spelt work maybe? Or 5 plain to 3 spelt?

I just don't want to buy MORE flour as I have this lot and I bake so rarely that it just gets wasted!

If it fails then that's fine, I just wondered if anyone had a hunch on it!

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 09:55:52

I'd go 5/3.

ipanemagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 10:02:18

Thanks moondog, so it might just work do you think?

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 10:24:53

Noreason why not!

ipanemagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 12:18:21

Cake's out, smells fab, top a bit burnt, but my m says wholemeal flour more absorbent.

Can't wait to taste it, thanks for advice.

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 17:05:11

How does it taste?

Sodoes your mother say wholemeal cooks quicker than white?

ipanemagirl Fri 22-Aug-08 19:10:59

tastes aMAzing, outside a little burnt but heaven with a little butter!

No, m just said that wholemeal flour absorbs more liquid than plain and that may have made it a soggier recipe as we had 5 oz plain. But I need to work out how hot to have my oven for cakes, it's a fan one and things just seem to burn so easily, particularly biscuits.

But after the fruit loaf my m made BREAD ( swoons to floor ) 600g strong white bread flour to 400g spelt. awesome smell, we're about to eat some, homemade bread is possibly my fave food in the world.

Are you a fine baker moondog?

We enjoyed the hairy bakers the other night!

moondog Sat 23-Aug-08 12:30:16

Oh good!
No, not really but have always been interested. I've messed about a bit with spelt which is the grain the Romans ate ibelieve.

ipanemagirl Sat 23-Aug-08 23:17:25

apparently spelt is ridiculously full of good nutritious stuff none of which I can remember at the moment.
m said it made the dough really nice to knead. I had a go at the kneading, so satisfying, it must meet some kind of uber primitiv 'need' don't you think, forgive the pun!

moondog Sun 24-Aug-08 12:28:45

Aye,needing v. therapeutic and great for arm toning. grin

Spelt v low in gluten I believe so good for peole who can't cope with that.

ipanemagirl Sun 24-Aug-08 19:51:50

I can't stop reading cake recipes, it's sad really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now