Talk

Advanced search

To Roomba or not to Roomba

(24 Posts)
pgwithnumber3 Thu 21-Aug-08 21:51:47

I am getting pissed off with hoovering my house, please come and tell me if your have a Roomba all about them, what one you have and are they actually any good.

Also, if anyone has the one what mops as well, I would like to hear about that!

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 21-Aug-08 22:03:25

I have the scooba (the one that washes floors) but not a roomba.

What kind of floors do you have?

It's great on stone and stuff like that, but you can't use it on wooden floors unless they have a varnished finish (ie not hard wax oil).

pgwithnumber3 Thu 21-Aug-08 22:21:44

I have Amtico, would you be able to use it on that?

jura Thu 21-Aug-08 22:31:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Thu 21-Aug-08 22:34:13

LadyMuck Thu 21-Aug-08 22:34:27

My roomba battery had started to die after 5 months, but am very impressed with their warranty service: picked up on Monday, back today and super-efficient again.

Downside is that it doesn't do stairsgrin. But very good for the day to day hoover.

jura Thu 21-Aug-08 22:34:35

jura Thu 21-Aug-08 22:36:54

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 22-Aug-08 07:39:09

Yes, scooba should do amtico a treat. We're prob putting that down in dd's new room when it's built, and intend to use the scooba up there.

DustyTV Fri 22-Aug-08 07:48:28

Erm at the risk of sounding a bit thick, what is a roomba and a scooba and do I need one?? grin

Nbg Fri 22-Aug-08 07:55:48

Can I just butt in and ask, do they manage to go over little bumps and can they get dirt right up to the edges?
I have a weird shape room with some diagonal sides and I'm just wondering if it would actually get everything.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 22-Aug-08 07:56:56

They are robots dusty. A roomba vacuums for you and a scooba scrubs floors.

Scooba.

DustyTV Fri 22-Aug-08 08:25:42

ooooh yes then I do need one.....

Do they manage pet hairs? and if so can I set it to follow my dogs around all day grin

Thanks.

pgwithnumber3 Fri 22-Aug-08 09:47:25

I am desperate for one of these now I have heard such good things about them.

<ponders whether DH can be bribed with sex to get me one>

giraffescantdancethetango Fri 22-Aug-08 09:47:47

They look fab.

jura Fri 22-Aug-08 09:54:42

wontbepreggersagain Fri 22-Aug-08 09:58:36

go for it- i imported mine from the states- worth every penny even when scooba died without warranty at 14months old! i got a free roomba red with my scooba, and bought a separate scheduler roomba- fab!

We updated them about 6 months ago for the newer models, the cats quite like them- they have tried riding around on roomba from time to time! Scooba is the triumph of the century, 'scooba clean' floors cannot be got any other way, and it is so easy!

QOD Fri 22-Aug-08 10:05:17

I do love mine so very much!
We are on our 4th though, they are a bit fragile, but I love it so so so much!

makeminealargeoneplease Fri 22-Aug-08 10:36:08

Do they honestly, honestly clean the room as well as a standard vacuum or in scooba's case an old fashioned mop? Maybe i'm missing something, but is hoovering that bad of a job? It doesn't take that long does it?

Sorry to all you roomba lovers..but seems a bit unnecessary imo, unless you are incredibly lazy, of course grin<<runs off and cowls before the onslaught>>

pgwithnumber3 Fri 22-Aug-08 10:37:57

Why do a job though if you can have a robot do it for you!

jura Fri 22-Aug-08 10:40:38

LadyMuck Fri 22-Aug-08 11:50:29

I guess it now means that the hoovering is done daily. It's a handy gadget, but in the same way that it is quicker to wash up by hand than use a dishwasher, some people prefer to do it themselves, others prefer the gadget/machine to do it. We got a basic model so the dcs enjoy going to hunt for it whenever we get back in. Also my dcs have an early school run and there is something quite decadent about having a leisurely solitary breakfast whilst the Roomba is doing your hoovering.

pgwithnumber3 Fri 22-Aug-08 12:06:49

I am definitely going to ask DH to get me one for Christmas! Saddo me, he got me a £400 steam cleaner for my birthday once. Have to say, I don't know where it is anymore. blush

deeeja Fri 22-Aug-08 17:14:37

OOOh I want a roomba and a scooba!
Sadly have to get a boring old washing machine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now