Talk

Advanced search

Please help - moths!

(7 Posts)
Greedygirl Thu 21-Aug-08 09:22:35

Since moving house I have noticed a couple of small holes in clothes, not very often and not many so did what I usually do and ignored and hoped they would go away! Anyway, DH pulled a shirt out the other day and a small moth flew out. I went through all our other clothes and no obvious signs of infestion. Is it possible that it is the work of one or two moths and I don't need to worry? Do they still sell moth balls?

onlygirlinthehouse Thu 21-Aug-08 09:32:52

moths only eat natural fibres so unless the clothes with holes in were cotton or wool then its unlikely that moths were to blame.

As far as I know moth balls dont really work, and as most things are made of man made fibre now moths are not the problem that they were.

clothes moths are very small and shaped like a arrow head, if that makes any sense!! and they usually tend to fly in early summer, May June time so now might be a bit late for them anyway.

I had a sofa and a bed infested with moths when I was a student blush, thats why I know so much about them, bloody horrible things too, but because of what I said earlier about natural fibres I dont think you need to worry too much

Greedygirl Thu 21-Aug-08 09:41:13

Cool, sounds like i can go back to ignoring the problem!

RiojaLover75 Thu 21-Aug-08 09:54:17

Erm are you sure it was a moth and not a carpet beetle? www.chester.gov.uk/council_services/environment_and_health/pest_control/carpet_beetles.aspx?theme=pr int

I've suffered from these in my house before, they eat textiles.

Greedygirl Thu 21-Aug-08 09:56:38

Oh no, I feel all crawly now! Well I can't see anything obvious, did you see the beetles?

RiojaLover75 Thu 21-Aug-08 10:01:52

Yes the beetles fly around and are attracted to light. The 'wooly bears' are the offspring that do the damage.

Greedygirl Thu 21-Aug-08 10:15:30

well haven't seen any beetles so hopefully not that. still haven't recovered from weevil infestation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now