Talk

Advanced search

This is so fantastically dull I can barely force myself to finish the OP. How does your faux dishwasher front stay attached to your dishwasher?

(20 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 17:45:31

Mine keeps falling off. It falls off with a crash and scares the bejeesus out of me and the ugliest, non matching horrid dishwasher is exposed.

I cannot see how it was afixed. 2 plastic strips are stuck to the dishwasher, but nowt on the backside of the false door.

Can I just super glue it back on? Bluetac is not working.

Will I have to get a handman in? Dh is not skilled in this area, and my efforts (mostly involving a lot of blue tac), have failed.

maidamess Mon 18-Aug-08 18:04:28

Do you know I have never thought about that before. it just appeared like that when the man fitted it.

Have you tried googling it to see? I'm thinking its a couple of bolts that the front hangs on, rather than a glue.

justkeepswimming Mon 18-Aug-08 18:06:03

i will look and see....

justkeepswimming Mon 18-Aug-08 18:07:11

there is def some sort of bracket on the door, and it is screwed to the machine somehow, vague i know!

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 18:08:39

The bolts appear to be projecting from the plastic strips, that are still attached to the dishwasher. The plastic strip has just come away from the fake door which I presume was just initially stuck on.

<sigh>

It depresses me greatly that even a tiny fraction of one day of my life has been taken up with battling with the dishwasher door. And now I'm briging you down with me maidamess.

I apologise

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 18:10:23

thank you swimming. The 'screwed to the machine somehow' is the very essence of the problem grin

justkeepswimming Mon 18-Aug-08 18:15:25

thought it might be grin

justkeepswimming Mon 18-Aug-08 18:17:17

i think super glue should do it.

if you are less sure about using that then you could try the 'sticky strips' things that are less permanent (i think), can get from diy shops.

good luck

maidamess Mon 18-Aug-08 18:18:26

Oh don't worry about bringing me down! I love to help with general domestic enquiries!

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 18:22:16

I tried the end of a sticky strip roll with a half kilo of blutac. I may buy and try more tape before the superglue option.

Man I need to go and do something wild and dangerous or deeply cerebral to throw off this dishwasher funk.

<empties marble run marbles down the stairs>

nannyL Mon 18-Aug-08 22:58:34

what bour no more nails super strong stuff?

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 23:02:05

I wonder if the false door need to be able to come off. For servicing and what have.

QuintessentialShadows Mon 18-Aug-08 23:07:16

I missed the course module "fitted washingmachine doors and maintenance with bluetack" - actually, I never got the course at all.

But, as you open the door of the dishwasher, what is the faux door doing at the bottom? If you stick it, and it becomes rigid, will it still open without being obstructed by the bottom part of the diswhasher which I gather still will be vertical from the floor, whilst creating a 90 degree angle with the door open fully? Look at that aspect when you start gluing, it must be ablet open fully, so you should really glue it when the door is open. Which would be ridiculous and just insane. Forget me, as I said, I slept through that module.

As you were.

donnie Mon 18-Aug-08 23:07:46

no advice but i just love this thread title. Couls you hammer in some nails?

Slubberdegullion Mon 18-Aug-08 23:11:38

pmsl @ QS. I have read your post like 5 times now and am still none the wiser, although I concur that glueing the door on with the door open and facing the floor would indeed be perilous.

donnie, no. I suspect that would invalidate the warrantee

QuintessentialShadows Mon 18-Aug-08 23:28:50

grin Good night, I hope you do find a solution. Now I regret not paying more attention when we scrapped our old built in dishwasher and replaced it with a "normal" one!

themoon66 Mon 18-Aug-08 23:44:52

Oooh I'm an expert with this one. My old dishwasher broke and I couldnt afford to get someone out to fit the new one. So I took the door off the old one very carefully so I could see how to fit it to the new machine.

I can tell you it's a two person job. There should be some big flat hooky things on the front of the machine that the door slides down onto. Getting them to line up is a pita, and needs two people. There will be a lot of 'up abit, your way abit, now dont move, argh you moved, ok, lets start again' sort of conversation.

Then, when your hooky bits are in place, open the door and look at the edges of the inside. There should be holes that you need to drop screws through, thereby screwing the metal machine door to your wooden front.

Hope that helps.

Slubberdegullion Tue 19-Aug-08 11:46:23

thanks themoon. Will copy & paste and print out and show DH when he returns from work. Can hardly wait for the excitement of an evening of door jiggling ahead of me hmm

ib Tue 19-Aug-08 11:50:33

Mine just screwed in from the inside of the dishwasher (holes round the edges iyswim)

Fizzylemonade Wed 20-Aug-08 21:20:46

Depending on the age of your dishwasher and who makes it you could try downloading the instruction manual, lots of companies now enable you to download their manuals.

Dh fitted ours (and our oven, he is very clever) ours is a bosch, it came with a paper template to put onto the full height door so that we could mark the screw holes.

The screws go directly from the inside of the dishwasher door through to the kitchen door. There are 4 per side.

If you have done it already then great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now