Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Maggots in bin (again). Ideas desperately needed....

(5 Posts)
MuffinMclay Fri 15-Aug-08 13:26:17

We have maggots again in our wheelie bin. Last time I put it down to the really hot weather, but they've returned this week.

The bin was cleaned very thoroughly (I thought) with lots of bleach and water after it was last emptied. It doesn't contain any food, only nappies (triple-bagged in scented bags), plastic packaging waste, and odd bits that can't be recycled. It isn't overflowing - about a third full.

What am I missing? What more can I do? Can anyone suggest anything that repels maggots. At the moment I'm putting boiling water onto it every hour or so, but that isn't really a practical long term solution. Also spraying with toxic fly spray (rentokil stuff).

It won't be emptied until Tuesday, and they are multiplying at an alarming rate!

RedHead81 Fri 15-Aug-08 15:14:34

mine is too - our black bins - but i did tell my neighbour to put her rubbish in it (there are 4 adults and 2 children living there until her daughter, husband and 2children move to their new home) and i think they have put nappies in our bin - they're not mine because we use terry nappies on our 3mth old. ours doesn't get emptied til tues, and yest i shrieked as i opened the lid. i used fly spray and bleach in there and didn't see any today.

the annoying thing is, i pay every fortnight to get ours cleaned!

i don't know what to do either - was thinking of a bit of tea tree oil maybe to repel them, but don't know if it will work.

apparently bins should be blue because flys dont see blue ?????? maybe we should go out and buy some blue car spray?????

x

jazzandh Fri 15-Aug-08 21:42:41

I sprinkled loads of soda crystals and salt in mine, and they must have shrivelled up! Kept sprinkling it around the bags as they went in......

Last few weeks have put neat bleach in the bottom of the bin once emptied and although I hate the smell when I open the bin, I think it disguises any smells and the maggots haven't reappeared!

MuffinMclay Sat 16-Aug-08 12:15:27

I'll try soda crystals and salt.

I've been putting lots of bleach in, but they don't seem to mind.

Council were really unhlpful when I phoned them for advice. Just told me it was impossible for maggots or flies to get in if the lid was kept shut, and I must have been leaving it open (I haven't).angry

MuffinMclay Sun 17-Aug-08 20:54:22

The salt works! Fantastic tip - thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now