Talk

Advanced search

How can I get DH's shirts clean?

(12 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Thu 14-Aug-08 08:26:15

I've always washed DH's shirts at 40, using Persil non-bio. But recently they've started smelling really bad under the arms and they're just not coming clean. I've tried spraying underarms with Vanish oxy action before the wash, but it doesn't make a lot of difference. Any tips please? Thanks!

maidamess Thu 14-Aug-08 08:33:12

Chuck 'em. Buy new ones. I think shirts have a shelf life and it sounds like your dh's have passed it.

herbietea Thu 14-Aug-08 08:44:10

Message withdrawn

picklepie555 Thu 14-Aug-08 08:55:43

Try using a boil wash or 60 degree wash, and use bio powder and fabric conditioner, pre-treat under the arms with some household soap (or failing that normal bath soap). That should do the trick.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 14-Aug-08 09:05:07

Thanks, I will give both of those suggestions a go (really don't want to chuck them if poss). I think it's sweat, not deodorant as that's what it smells like (yuk).

picklepie555 Thu 14-Aug-08 09:15:12

Also when you iron them really press it well with LOADS of steam under the armpits this will sterilse them killing the smell culprit. Good Luck.

KnockOffNorbert Thu 14-Aug-08 09:18:25

Vinegar and/or napisan I was told. DHs shirts are a nightmare, but then I think our washing machine is on it's last legs anyway.

alibubbles Thu 14-Aug-08 15:36:09

I have changed from Persil to Ariel and haven't had a problem since. DH's shirts used to go stiff and crack under the arms, even really expensive shirts such as Zegna and Cerruti at £100 each, you can't just throw those away!

They didn't ever smell, but would discolour, changing deodorant didn't help. A 40 wash isn't hot enough to get them clean, I always use a 60 for a shirt wash.

TurkeyLurkey Thu 14-Aug-08 15:39:18

Soda Crystals are fab for this. They are dirt cheap from Supermarkets or Wilkos. LEave shirts to soak in hot water and soda crystals. Put on a 60 wash and add some soda crystals to the usual washing powder. It will get rid of most underarm stuff.

cmotdibbler Thu 14-Aug-08 15:41:27

A Napisan soak soon deals with that crustiness - I put a dose in the machine with each whites wash now, and they never go like that. And as a bonus a soak with Napisan gets the kitchen sink really nice and clean.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 14-Aug-08 20:53:33

I'm supposed to iron them? wink

Thanks all, lots of top tips here. Am trying to avoid using different washing stuff for the kids clothes and ours, so hopefully some of the soap/napisan pre-treatment will be enough.

Fizzylemonade Fri 15-Aug-08 16:30:12

<fizzy faints from talk of £100 shirts>

<goes to revive herself with a cup of tea>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now