Talk

Advanced search

Can I iron-on transfers on polyester?

(13 Posts)
AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Wed 13-Aug-08 09:40:12

I know very little about ironing, or fabrics, but will dig out the iron if necessary!! I was just wondering if you can use a really hot iron on 100% polyester (football shirt).
The transfer says you can use them on cotton/cotton mix t-shirts.

TIA

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 09:44:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Wed 13-Aug-08 09:46:20

No - at best it will go all shrivelled and crinkly, at worst it will melt or catch fire!

SoupDragon Wed 13-Aug-08 09:47:25

Hmmmm.... I would say not (lie Lapin did) but I wonder if you can do it by putting a cotton sheet over the top of the shirt and transfer and ironing that. My gut feeling is that it still wouldn't work given the instructions say it's for cotton/cotton mix.

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Wed 13-Aug-08 09:55:37

oh blimey!! Thanks all, I will have to think of something else then!!

SoupDragon Wed 13-Aug-08 11:47:21

What did you want to achieve?

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Wed 13-Aug-08 13:46:27

SoupD, I have two football kits (100%polyester) and DH wants a spiderman face on the back, where there would usually be a number/name.

(Glass of wine to whoever guesses the team!)
smile

littlelapin Wed 13-Aug-08 13:53:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Wed 13-Aug-08 14:00:42

Lapin, I'm as good as sewing as I am at ironing, but yes, I will try and find one that can be sewn rather than ironed. Thanks.

SoupDragon Wed 13-Aug-08 18:12:17

Make your DH do it

SoupDragon Wed 13-Aug-08 18:13:37

Having said that, given that it is possible to have names etc put on the back of football shirts, could you find out how they do it? I know my parents had some footballer's name or other put on the back of a shirt for my nephew in a sports store.

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Wed 13-Aug-08 20:00:09

Soup I had thought of that, but was trying to do it on the cheap...I'll just find a different transfer somewhere. Thanks.
Or do it in a sports store after all probably!
smile

SoupDragon Wed 13-Aug-08 22:23:06

I wasn't particularly suggesting you get them to do it, just find out how they do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now