Talk

Advanced search

tumble dryers..essential for new baby..?

(32 Posts)
claudib Tue 12-Aug-08 23:16:36

I am expecting a baby soon and my family are telling me i will need a tumble dryer and are offering to buy one for us.

however i am concerned about the energy price hikes to come and know dryers to be pretty heavy on energy usage and am wondering whether i can just cope with using the radiators as i have before.. Do babies create that much laundry..?

expatinscotland Tue 12-Aug-08 23:19:51

we didn't have one when either girl was a newborn.

Tinker Tue 12-Aug-08 23:20:56

Not essential. Nice extra if you can afford it and have space but you can certainly live without.

Dragonbutter Tue 12-Aug-08 23:21:37

have you already got a dishwasher?
i'd prioritise that.

babies do create a lot of laundry but if you've got space to hang it, it shouldn't be a problem and you shouldn't need a dryer.

we have a drier but actually don't use it much because of the cost of using it. we also don't have much space so live surrounded by drying laundry.
i would be nice to just dry it all but we can't afford it.

but i'd definitely get a dishwasher first.

feetheart Tue 12-Aug-08 23:22:54

Never used tumble dryer with my two (mainly because I'm mean and they cost loads in electricity) AND we used real nappies for both of them. Used outside line as much as poss and a decent size indoor airer - don't like using radiators but that's just me.
Babies do seem to create lots of everything but its all so tiny it didn't seem to take up too much room though washing machine does work overtime!

Flum Tue 12-Aug-08 23:22:57

No not essential. We didn't have one until dd2 was one. ONce you get one though you get so used to it you can't live without it.

Wrecks your clothes though.

Tortington Tue 12-Aug-08 23:23:01

am thinking towels are better to dry them with

eclectech Tue 12-Aug-08 23:23:23

Everyone told us we'd need a tumble dryer too but we've managed fine with radiators over winter and fresh air over summer. We did buy an extra airer to cope with occasionally excessive washing days though smile

pointydog Tue 12-Aug-08 23:25:27

Not essential at all.

BrownSuga Tue 12-Aug-08 23:30:52

I've only ever used an airer. There is a dryer available where we live now, electric paid by landlord, but I still don't use it. Not necessary IMO.

claricebeansmum Tue 12-Aug-08 23:31:47

I think it is better to dry a baby with a towel.

They make an awful noise in the tumble drier. grin

thumbwitch Tue 12-Aug-08 23:37:36

lol at custardo and claricebm!

I don't have a tumble drier and use washable nappies - a good airer and radiator racks is enough. I now have an extra small peg hanger for drying nappy inserts as well, plus use banister rails for towels and big things.

Don't feel the need for a tumble drier tbh.

wohmum Tue 12-Aug-08 23:45:04

we have a washer drier but never use the drier - used radiators and airers.

def not an essential - whereas a dishwasher IS (not particularly for the baby's things though!)

thumbwitch Tue 12-Aug-08 23:46:28

btw, I use an a-frame airer - best option imo.

PortAndLemon Tue 12-Aug-08 23:49:08

Not at all essential. I never tumble dry any of DD's stuff anyway.

RedHead81 Tue 12-Aug-08 23:51:42

Our tumble dryer is broken at the moment and the part will cost about £20 (£20 too much at the mo) and we wash nappies too - Have 2DS's and Hubby who is builder so gets dirty and I'm coping pretty well without one. Airer for wetter days. Will hopefully save money on electric not using dryer too!

OurHamsterisevil Wed 13-Aug-08 22:13:20

I have a dryer but I only use it to finish things off to make them softer. Even in winter I hang stuff inside to dry and then tumble to finish.

I miss my dishwasher :{

LittleDorrit Thu 14-Aug-08 13:42:26

Yes, I agree that a dishwasher is good to have. I don't use mine everyday, but love having it.

I hate tumble dryers, and when DD was born I thought I might need to get one because we live in a flat, but then I found that I didn't actually need one.
They certainly use heaps of electricity. And I know that some people will disagree, but I think even the really good ones ruin your clothes.

bergentulip Thu 14-Aug-08 13:45:50

No need.

Had a small flat for first baby, and just dried on a drying rack wotsit for 2.5yrs. Worked fine.

Now, dishwasher. I would LOVE one of those. Never had one, and now with two children and DH and me, I feel like my life is a constant washing up sink full of dishes.....

witchandchips Thu 14-Aug-08 13:48:40

I found it useful in the very very early days when i was doing more than 3 loads of washing a day (re-useable nappies + reflux baby). Used it perhaps 5 times in the 3 years since then!

Trebuchet Thu 14-Aug-08 13:49:57

Nah. I don't have one and I still manage to dry cloth nappies ok. They do eat electrickery!

Trebuchet Thu 14-Aug-08 13:50:32

Tell them to spend the money on a years supply of nappies, much more useful!

mamijacacalys Thu 14-Aug-08 13:57:16

Agree that dishwasher is better option!grin

Never had a tumble drier with DS - coped fine with line drying outside or airing on a rack inside.

When DD arrived, got a tumble drier but only use if when washing builds up which isn't often as I try and do at least 1 load a day. Agree that on the downside it generally shrinks clothes but on the plus side it makes towels really fluffy.

blithedance Sat 16-Aug-08 01:34:29

It just occurred to me that a brief spell in the tumble dryer will air clothes and get the creases out and save time and energy (of every sort) ironing.

I brought in some washing that had got a bit damp on the line, gave it 10 minutes in the dryer (at 2kW) and folded it all ready for the cupboard, saving me at least half an hour of ironing (at 1kW).

But there again I'd never have done that ironing so what does that prove?

theirmum Sat 16-Aug-08 01:36:00

I have a 4 year old a 3 month old and a DH who changes twice a day and i dont have one it ruins their clothes I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now