Talk

Advanced search

Best way to get rid of the smell of cat

(9 Posts)
geordieminx Tue 12-Aug-08 11:41:05

other than get rid of aforementioned cats of course grin

Have acquired 2 new kittens in addition to our moggy. They are usuing a tray at the moment but hope to get them to go outside soon.

Really paranoid about the smell of cat wee/crap/generalness... thnk its stems from an aunt that had 8 house cats hmm

Any tips?

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 12:05:03

<<looks with interest>>

The SoupKittens have just got back from a cattery and both are using a litter tray again. Before, the older one went outside and he'll have to retrain himself

Pets At home seemed to have an assortment of smell things for litter trays. Deoderising sprays, lids, bags, liners...

sarah293 Tue 12-Aug-08 12:09:46

Message withdrawn

newpup Tue 12-Aug-08 12:23:36

I have been using a product called Simple Solution odor remover ( think it is american) Large bottle about £6 from Pets at home. You pour it neat onto carpet, floor, fabric anything and then rub it in. It removes the smell to humans but also removes anything pets can smell, otherwise they will try to use the same place again.

I have only used it on the kitchen floor but it smells lovely and says you can use it on fabric.

Only wish I had known about it when we moved house 18 months ago and the cat weed on all the carpets!!

geordieminx Tue 12-Aug-08 14:21:32

Its not so much the smell of wee on anything in particular, they are using their tray, its just the general cat smell in the house?

SoupDragon Tue 12-Aug-08 14:55:39

Febreeze?

newpup Tue 12-Aug-08 15:14:35

Oh sorry geordieminx I misunderstood.

Scented candles?

InaMalina Tue 12-Aug-08 15:21:04

Yes. I have the answer. I used to work in a cat rescue home, it was a proper house with about a hundred cats in it.

They tipped me off that the only thing that works, is called Simple Solution. You can buy it in Petsmart or similar I think (used to anyway) or maybe online?

You put it on and apparently it stops the smell, stops them re-going in that spot as well.

smile

About £3.50 a bottle I seem to remember...

InaMalina Tue 12-Aug-08 15:21:30

Oh sorry someone beat me to it!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now