Advanced search

Calling all flyladies, remind me the rules for decluttering clothes....

(9 Posts)
ipanemagirl Sat 09-Aug-08 18:36:41

What about the long black dress that I keep keeping in case in comes in useful for some long distant halloween dressing up scenario?!?!? blush

How about all the shirts that may come in useful?

What about the jumpers dh never wears because they're a little tight?

lucysmam Sat 09-Aug-08 20:07:45

if you've not worn it for a year, charity, ebay or throw. Unless you're super-sentimental & like to keep stuff but anything like a dress that may come in handy for a halloween dress-up thing I'd put in a dress up box now for the kids as you probably won't use it yourself!

HaventSleptForAYear Sat 09-Aug-08 20:45:31

I'm trying desperately to declutter my clothes at the moment.

It's hard isn't it?

Especially as I nearly threw out all my smaller sized stuff but I now fit into it so would have regretted it.

Not sure what to do with the too-big stuff - for the moment I am keeping it in case of another pregnancy - v. handy for the early stages.

But in theory our family is complete!

I also have found that I have multiple "painting" clothes - stained or old stuff. Have tried to whittle it down to one.

good luck

lucysmam Sat 09-Aug-08 22:05:11

HaventSlept, I do the same thing! lots and lots of painting stuff knocking about that I never use & pregnant clothes. Trouble is, there's never enough space for it all & it's sooooo hard to be ruthless

ipanemagirl Sun 10-Aug-08 09:58:11

Thanks, well I tried to b ruthless and filled a massive bin bag for the charity shop, so baby steps!

FluffyMummy123 Sun 10-Aug-08 09:58:43

Message withdrawn

EustaciaVye Mon 11-Aug-08 07:41:08

Agree with Cod in that 1 year is too drastic.

I apply:
1 year for 'normal' everyday clothes.
2 years for smart going out clothes.
3 years for very smart, wedding type clothes.

Store out of season clothes in a suitcase and rotate the clothes in your wardwobe.

Anything stained, out of shape, holey or ugly should go.

moominjules Tue 12-Aug-08 15:35:28

I rotate my winter/summer stuff i a suitcase in the loft too, thats very handy.
Still need to declutter my drawers though, but I want to loose some weight, so I don't want to throw out stuff thats just a bit too small, but I have been saying this for 6months!!If I throw them out however its admitting defeat against the extra pounds I;d like to shift! argh!

amidaiwish Tue 12-Aug-08 15:42:10

i have a suitcase in which i put anything that i don't wear but i'm not ready to throw.

everytime i do a declutter, about 2x year, i go through it and it's amazing how easily you can get rid of things that time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now