Talk

Advanced search

Anyone swapped their iron for a steam press? Are they any good?

(8 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Thu 07-Aug-08 15:17:02

I need to get a new iron at some point, but really like the look of steam presses... do they replace ironing totally? Are they any good? Or is a really good quality iron better? Or are they meant for different things? Thanks

TheLadyofShalott Thu 07-Aug-08 15:22:02

I've never really been able to figure out how a steam press would work fr most clothes - wouldn't you spend so much time faffing around getting things straight that it'd be quicker just to iron them?

But I've just got a steam generator iron - this one, and I love it - it's moved ironing from my least favourite household job to something I don't actually mind doing.

LadyOfWaffle Thu 07-Aug-08 15:52:30

I have to have things neatly stretched over the ironing board anyway before I can iron, although I do wonder how you would do all the niggly parts of a shirt...

Shitehawk Thu 07-Aug-08 15:55:22

Another vote for a steam generator iron ... I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it makes ironing a pleasure, but it has made it an awful lot easier. It gives a much nicer finish than a standard iron too.

flipflopper Fri 08-Aug-08 12:21:59

Ive got a steam press and i really dont reccomend them. Its big to start with, so you need to be doing quite a lot of ironing to make it worth getting it out, not good for a few bits.
Its a pain int he arse straightening all the creases out before you press it down and impossible to do shirts.

Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand one, hardly used?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 08-Aug-08 12:24:23

Think I may get both then... Love the idea of doing pillow cases, baby gros etc. in the press but better get an iron for shirts etc. There goes the best part of £300/400!

flipflopper Fri 08-Aug-08 16:56:07

I really wouldnt waste that much money on a press, it wont save you much time if you have to get an iron out as well for other things

jura Fri 08-Aug-08 17:15:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now