Talk

Advanced search

Help, I have had a slow leak behind my washing machine and now

(7 Posts)
cathcat Thu 07-Aug-08 13:23:54

the lino is up and the floorboards are drying and it smells quite unpleasant. However the worst bit is the wall behind the back of the washing machine is black and yuk. I haven't got too close but presume it is mould. What do I do? Wash it down with bleach?

GrapefruitMoon Thu 07-Aug-08 13:28:03

Dettox do a mould and mildew spray which I've found good in the past. It's bleach based I think so maybe worth trying bleach first

janmoomoo Thu 07-Aug-08 21:51:55

Ewwwwww!! I had this a few months ago. Didnt know it was a slow leak until mushrooms started growing out of side of unit. Scrub with bleach I reckoned, and then sprayed with mould killer spray and left that to soak in. Then I put a fan on it overnight to dry it all out.

southeatsastras Thu 07-Aug-08 21:53:36

i had this too, rotten a floorboard and i didn't notice. take out the washing machine and let the wall dry. i then just painted over it, replaced the board and hoped for the best

southeatsastras Thu 07-Aug-08 21:55:45

mushroomsshock my dad used a hairdryer to dry the wall

fiestabelle Fri 08-Aug-08 14:33:03

You can claim under your home insurance for this type of thing - your insurers should dry out the damp, and then replace any damaged floorboards, wall plaster, vinyl, and redecorate.

HTH

Piffle Fri 08-Aug-08 14:37:45

insurance!!!!
we recently has similar from our dishwasher
whole kitchen ripped out, subfloor ripped out and new flooring laid on top of new subfloor

do ensure floorboards are not rotten!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now