Talk

Advanced search

Is there a knack to cleaning your carpets with a vax ?

(9 Posts)
Chocolateteapot Wed 06-Aug-08 18:09:24

I have one of these which has just arrived.

Having a go at the hall and it is taking quite a leap of imagination to imagine the carpet actually being much cleaner when it is dry.

Is there a knack to these things or do I need to accept that buying a £60 machine to deal with carpets that haven't been cleaned for two years was asking a bit much ?

mrsshapelybottom Thu 07-Aug-08 11:01:41

We have one similar to this with some extra (and pointless) hoses smile

One thing I did notice is that sometimes the soap doesn't come out for a few minutes even when it's switched on. Have you noticed whether the water being sucked back into the bottom of the machine is sudsy? If not, you might need to try switching the soap button off for a moment then on again. Also for very stained carpets it can take quite a few "passes" to lift the stains.

Chocolateteapot Thu 07-Aug-08 15:05:46

Ah thank you, I will turn it on a look again. I think it looks a tiny bit better - the rest of the family are trying hard to make encouraging noises about it but it still looks pretty dirty to me.

My friend is coming to stay whilst we go away and I am embarrassed about how utterly filthy these carpets are !

CvQ Thu 07-Aug-08 15:08:12

ive got a disgusting orange stain on my cream carpet after spilling tomato soup on it a while backblush
one of those machines would suck it right up i reckon!

RambleOn Thu 07-Aug-08 15:11:11

I use one on mine and find it quite good.

I always go round with a spray stain remover first though, as I only find the Vax any good for removing general grub iyswim.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 07-Aug-08 15:14:18

i have a vax and the carpets do actually look cleaner when they are dry! but if its hasnt been done for a while you might need a few goes to get most of the dirt out.

i sometimes spray vansih power foam on the really bad bits before cleaning.

Chocolateteapot Thu 07-Aug-08 15:14:35

Right, just tried it again, the water in the water compartment is filthy but not sudsy, does that mean something isn't going right ?

mrsshapelybottom Thu 07-Aug-08 19:45:16

CT I wonder if the soap is dispensing properly? Can you smell the detergent smell when the machine is cleaning? Have you checked the little black hose on the soap compartment is connected? Thinking off the top of my head hereblush The last time I used ours it took about 5 minutes for the soap to start coming through although I have no idea whyhmm

Chocolateteapot Fri 08-Aug-08 12:35:26

Right, it is all dry now and I do have to admit some of it is cleaner. I have a clean patch where I tried the a particularly dirty bit in my offie, so I guess I'm just going to have to do them a few times until they get clean.

Thank you very much for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now