Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to use biological powder on a baby's clothes?

(16 Posts)
MadameCheese Wed 06-Aug-08 15:32:17

Or is this a no no?

lucysmam Wed 06-Aug-08 15:51:15

I do and have since my lo was about 6mo as oh has had some bad luck work wise so we're on a tight budget & have found it cheaper. Never had any reactions or troubles with it and her clothes seem cleaner to me, but maybe thats just a psychological thing or maybe just me!

Twiglett Wed 06-Aug-08 15:51:56

yes but double rinse it

Flossish Wed 06-Aug-08 15:52:31

i think there was some new reseach recently which proved that bio was no more likely to cause skin reactions than non bio, i'll have a quick search - don't know if it means ok for baby now.

Philomytha Wed 06-Aug-08 16:01:15

I've always used it (Sainsbury's own brand), no problems of any sort. We've never done extra rinsing or any other faffing around. You don't seem to need very much of it either, much less than it says on the packet. I use it for nappy washing too, and it does a good job.

MadameCheese Wed 06-Aug-08 17:02:25

Ace, I want to try the new eco powder that the co-op do but it's biological , thanks

KnickersOnMaHead Wed 06-Aug-08 20:51:20

Message withdrawn

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 22:14:25

depends. you shouldn't use biological powder on items that are made from natural fibers - so wool, cashmere, silk etc and also on anything with elastic in. because of this i find it easier to just stick to non-bio. i always make sure it doesn't have optical brighteners though cos that fades coloureds.

MadameCheese Thu 07-Aug-08 10:49:02

lol, my ds doesn't tend to wear silk or cashmere

Fizzylemonade Thu 07-Aug-08 14:22:56

I didn't switch to non-bio for ds2 because apparently we are the only country that does this <waits to be corrected> Europeans don't do it I think.

That way you can shove all their stuff in with yours instead of waiting for theirs to build up.

Never had any reactions with my two.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 07-Aug-08 14:24:48

Yes I hear the same as Fizzy and others who posted. There was some interesting info on the NappyLady website basically saying that bio is fine. Apparently if you have a reaction to bio powder or liquid it is unlikely to be the "bio" part of it.

hairtwiddler Thu 07-Aug-08 14:35:11

I think the powder you're talking about is aquados simply They do non-bio too which you can order online. I use the bio though, and no probs with DDs skin. She's over two now though.. not sure whether would still use it for a baby.
Think I read on here that UK is unusual in bio/non bio choice.

SheikYerbouti Thu 07-Aug-08 14:37:51

I have always used bio for DS2's stuff and his skin is fine

DS1 has eczema (quite badly sometimes) but I don;t find non-bio helps it anymore.

Plus bio cleans better

I just use 1/2 the amount is says on the packet, but that's cos I am a stingy bint

scarletlilybug Thu 07-Aug-08 14:42:09

I always used Bio without any problems. Agree that it seems to make clothes appear cleaner.

My HV, however, warned against using fabric conditioner - and in fact when I did use it, my dd's skin did look slightly irritated.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 07-Aug-08 14:48:39

scarlet fabric conditioner is far more likely to cause a reaction because it remains on the clothes (it is not rinsed off like washing powder is) I have really "gone off" fabric conditioner after reading more about it.

Fennel Thu 07-Aug-08 14:50:28

dd2 had appalling nappy rash when we occasionally forgot and washed her nappies in bio powder. It was fine in normal powder, but terrible in bio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now