Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning at Night

(29 Posts)
cafebistro Mon 04-Aug-08 21:13:00

I was thinking this evening that if i did more of my housework when the kids were in bed i would have a much tidier and cleaner house. BUT....i resent spending MY time doing household chores! So I was wondering what everyone else did and whether im just a lazy cow.

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 04-Aug-08 21:15:50

What do you do in an evening? (that sounds really sarcy...dont mean it like that!) everytime TV adverts get on I get up and clean till the show comes back on. If I am on the net I get up about every 20 mins and do some jobs then come back and sit down again.

Obviously it depends how much you have to do, but its amazinghow much you cen get done int he 4min advert breaks grin

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 04-Aug-08 21:16:33

i rarely clean at night but i might wash up and have a quick hoover!

ComeOVeneer Mon 04-Aug-08 21:18:57

I never do any housework in the evening, other than clear up the kitchen after dinner (and get packed lunches, bags and clothes ready if it is school the next day). I keep on top of everything else during the day.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 04-Aug-08 21:21:06

My evenings are reserved solely for either working (2 evenings per week) or chilling out. The only exception is if we are about to go on holiday or some other special reason.

Cleaning is done (by me and dh) on days/mornings off. I get loads done first thing in the morning if I get organised.

cafebistro Mon 04-Aug-08 21:24:14

Seashells- how do you manage to hoover at night?? Dont you wake up the kids?
Giraffe- What do i do at night? Well either on here or watching tele...yours does sound like a good idea, stopping every so often to do something. Im sure id get more done without a baby and toddler to entertain!
Oh by the way im being very producive and pickling beetroot tonight...whilst on MN of course!!

bozza Mon 04-Aug-08 21:26:53

Well tonight I have tidied up the garden, watered the plants, fed the neighbour's cats, done 1 hour of ironing, made DS and me a packed lunch each. Will have some time on here before I go and put some ironing away and get my work things organised. But we have just got back from two weeks hols without washing (clothes that is, we did have a bathroom!) facilities and I had to look after my friend's DC until 1, then DD's swimming lesson, the supermarket and library. So couldn't squeeze everything into the daytime.

MrsTicklemouse Mon 04-Aug-08 21:27:35

I do most of it during the day but as soon as boys go to bed i have a quick tidy up downstairs, load dishwasher then crash in front of tele or on the computer then just before i go to bed i sweep and mop downstairs (laminate, it seems permanently dirty!!)

i also tend to do my ironing in the evening whilst watching tv

bozza Mon 04-Aug-08 21:28:00

Until recently we used to always hoover downstairs (living room and dining room) while the chidren were asleep. And DH hoovers up if he clippers his hair in our bedroom while they are asleep.

cafebistro Mon 04-Aug-08 21:35:04

bozza envy how are you so organised??

MrsTicklemouse Mon 04-Aug-08 21:35:40

i used to hoover when DSs were in bed when we had carpet downstairs

cafebistro Mon 04-Aug-08 21:38:55

I wouldnt dare hoover....we dont even flush the toilet blush. the bathroom is right across from ds bedroom...

Sidge Mon 04-Aug-08 21:47:31

I do downstairs once the children are in bed. The minute I have put them to bed I hoover all through, dust, mop if needed, clean the downstairs sink and loo and only once it's done do I sit down! If I sat down first I'd never get up again.

As I do it each day it only takes me about half an hour and then the evening is my own.

chapstickchick Mon 04-Aug-08 21:52:36

i do the majority of my cleaning at night -dh works nights and with 3 ds dytimes are busy

cafebistro Mon 04-Aug-08 21:58:25

Well thanks ladies...im officially a lazy cow.grin

MrsTicklemouse Mon 04-Aug-08 22:11:22

don't worry i have a RL friend that has been told by her DH that he will by her a dyson if she will use it once a week..they have two children and two dogs! shock i hoover at least once a day!

cafebistro Tue 05-Aug-08 13:02:13

Ticklemouse...i do hoover because i quite enjoy it, it is one of the things that gets done everyday.And i am tidying all day but never seem to actually achieve anything...

blossomsmine Tue 05-Aug-08 15:29:42

I do as much as i can in the evenings, i work part time so don't have alot of time during the day what with schools runs etc., aswell. So....in the evenings, usually clear up the kitchen after dinner and try and get it looking like it did in the morning! Don't usually hoover but will clear away the bits and bobs that are in the wrong rooms etc., Also i always iron at night and put that away, then i try and do jobs like cleaning out the odd cupboard or sorting a wardrobe or something like that! Filing away paperwork etc., My house is still a mess though blush

JuniorH Tue 05-Aug-08 20:20:41

I think if you prefer cleaning at night you should go with it.

Sometimes I'm exhausted by the time I get home from work, the school run, hobbies etc so chill in the early afternoon before doing dinner and then get a second wind in the evening and start cleaning then. I always think as long as I am doing it lol

OurHamsterisevil Tue 05-Aug-08 20:44:00

I do my ironing in the evening while I watch tv. The rest of the housework gets done in the daytime

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 05-Aug-08 20:45:10

Message withdrawn

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 20:59:51

i throw the toys in a pile and do dishes after kids in bed.

do my other housework when dc taking nap. i gotta go to bed shortly after them. ds can rise as early as 5.30am!

littleducks Tue 05-Aug-08 21:09:48

I think it depends on the age of your kids, i have a two year old and a 4 month old and I feel the dey is very full on, with lots of questions, having to constantly watch one/them so in the evening i tend to collapse as finally i can relax without fearing dd will try and flood the place and the 'but Mama why?' quizzing is finally over, I am (desperately) hoping when they are older i wont spend from 4 o'clock onwards wishing it was bedtime. Then i wouldnt crave me time so much and would clean more.

i think.

Fizzylemonade Wed 06-Aug-08 12:25:54

We come down for breakfast, then back upstairs to get dressed, teeth brushed. As we come back downstairs I hoover then!!! It is before school when the lounge is tidy.

All toys are tidied away and I cannot be arsed to do housework at night except clear all pots from tea and clean down kitchen. That's me done.

It depends on the age of your children how much you can get done in the day, I tidy as I go, a la Fly lady. When the lounge is to difficult to walk through without injury in the day, we tidy some toys away then. But always everything away at the end of the day.

I am sahm with 5yr old and 2yr old so my house is never tidy in the day due to 2 yr old "destroyer" grin

ColumboJumbo Wed 06-Aug-08 14:00:48

I had new regime last week of cleaning the kitchen/diner every night last thing - it was taking me 1.5 hours every night - and I am a quick worker. Just to clean the kitchen/diner. FFS. I gave it up, sleep much more important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now