Talk

Advanced search

mould in washing machine

(5 Posts)
deb21 Sat 02-Aug-08 14:57:34

Does anyone else have this or am I just a scumbag? I mean when you pull the powder draw completely out, the bit behind it is all mouldy.
Any tips barring elbow grease!? Does everyone else actually remember to clean behind here?

OurHamsterisevil Sat 02-Aug-08 15:01:09

I think its quite common for that to happen. My Mums does it all the time and she is a clean freak. Mine didn't used to but has started now, don't have any clue why. Only elbow grease works IME, sorry.

ajm200 Sat 02-Aug-08 15:05:22

A washing machine engineer to told me that it is down to modern washing habits and was less common when everyone used boil washes. The softener residue attracts mould.

I find a bit of bicarb of soda on the cloth helps as it fizzes and helps to shift the gunk

nannyL Sat 02-Aug-08 18:51:49

i never put any detergent type stuff in my drawer.... only a slug of vinegar in the softner bit when i remember

i dont have any mould at all smile

my machine is 2 years old and still like new and im sure its cause i dont use that drawer.

when i lived at my parenst home i seemed to spend half my life de-moulding it... it got so mouldy so quickly and i hated it, so im just obsesed with not putting detergent in the drawer and soaking up the water in the seal after every washin my machine and it works smile

lucysmam Sat 02-Aug-08 19:12:14

try one of those cheap dish washing brushes and lots of elbow grease. makes it easier to reach to the back. worked for my old one when it was minging and now i keep my new one as clean as possible. i wash on a 90c wash with nothing in machine once a month as well n haven't had any troubles in 6 months <crosses fingers>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now