Talk

Advanced search

how about how to remove limescale from taps?

(10 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 01-Aug-08 11:54:26

i'm on a bit of a mission while oh has taken lo to town for the day so sorry if i'm driving anyone potty with all my q's!

trying to get everything back to some sort of order is all as i feel like it's total chaos and disaster atm.

does vinegar or anything like that work or would i have to get some proper remover? thanks

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Fri 01-Aug-08 11:56:24

on How Clean is Your House they put some tissue in a little bag, put vinegar in it and tied it with the tap in it (IYSWIM?)
then leave it for a while and wipe.

DontNeedAnything Fri 01-Aug-08 11:56:31

I have to say I like cillit bang grime and lime - but it is quite harsh

If it is bad it will need more than 1 treatment

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 11:57:48

Half a lemon works brilliantly. Smear it all around and then leave for 20 mins squished against the worst bit.

lucysmam Fri 01-Aug-08 11:58:15

cheers, will try the vinegar thing 1st as i have some in the house. if not cillit bang it is next time i get paid

themoon66 Fri 01-Aug-08 12:00:36

Cillit Bang Lime and Grime here too. It's the dog's bollux.

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Aug-08 12:01:54

vinegar would work - ideal solution is cotton wool soaked in vinegar/descaler as it keeps it on there for long enough (30 mins)

charleymouse Fri 01-Aug-08 12:05:43

Watch out as I tried vinegar wrapped it round tap soaked cotton wool and stripped coating off tap. Now looks even worse than just limescale, test on an inconspicuous bit first.

Vinegar does remove the lime though. DH uses buckets of vinegar to soak his fish tank paraphenalia.

Bramshott Fri 01-Aug-08 12:07:54

Ecover limescale removed, coupled with an old toothbrush is fab!

lucysmam Fri 01-Aug-08 12:40:31

oh, thanks for the 'heads up' charlie, might leave the vinegar and get a bottle of descaler then (think they sell it at local cheap shop for about a quid)

bram, i'm on a bit of a tight budget this week so can't really afford ecover. although if vinegar/lemon/descaler dont work (it's been there a while just ive never actually set out to do the whole house in one before)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now