Talk

Advanced search

the new mattress smells!

(6 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 31-Jul-08 11:40:52

We have recently bought a new bed and mattress for the guest room and the new mattress smells a bit. Nothing sinister I dont think, just from being stored somewhere unventilated etc I hope. Is there somehting that i could spray it with perhaps or should i be thinking about returning it. I've had in lying uncovered on the bed for 7 days now with the windows open as much as possible and it does seem to be getting better but the smell is still there a bit.

TIA

hanaflower Thu 31-Jul-08 11:42:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GentleOtter Thu 31-Jul-08 11:46:32

Try spraying it with Febreeze then putting it outside in the sun if possible.

RedHead81 Thu 31-Jul-08 11:46:54

febreze is supposed to be good- personally i dont like the smell of it but you could try that?

maybe wipe it over with a damp cloth that has been soaked in water with a little essential oil of your choice????

alternatively, you could phone the company and tell them - see what they suggest???

Gemzooks Thu 31-Jul-08 13:17:16

to be honest, there is a lot of very toxic nasty stuff in most mattresses, brominated flame retardants etc, which have even been found in breast milk. It could be that it's from a batch that was over-treated or something. I would take it back and get a safe one made of natural materials only!

mckenzie Thu 31-Jul-08 13:49:29

thanks for all the replies. I just phoned the company and they said the same as hahflower had mentioned. I'm waiting for the call back to arrange collection and a delivery of a new one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now