Talk

Advanced search

Wheelie Bin full of maggots - please help! About to vom...

(23 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Thu 31-Jul-08 07:53:36

Sorry I am complete girl about this kind of thing. The green bin is FULL of maggots. Have emptied it all out onto the side path, washed out the insides of it with bleach and water, and covered the whole stinking pile of rubbish with bleach too, but now what do I do with it? I can't put the bags back in if they still are crawling with maggots can I, it will just start all over again! Arrrgghh!!

PigeonPie Thu 31-Jul-08 08:07:12

I'd have left it all in the bin for the bin men to deal with, I'm afraid 'cos I have no idea how I'd deal with maggots in the bags and I hate seeing them crawl around. Poor you though, tis horrid.

maidamess Thu 31-Jul-08 08:08:49

Can you double bag the maggotty ones?

Is your rubbish collected fortnightly by any chance?

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 31-Jul-08 08:10:17

oh I couldn't have left it!!! Am a complete clean freak ironically and it would have been on my mind all day. Have just emptied another load of bleach over the pile as the little buggers are still crawling around! Not very environment friendly but sod it. Have abandoned my slippers as well! Puke.

Will they just go away????? hmm

southeastastra Thu 31-Jul-08 08:10:33

put boiling water on them make sure they're not wriggling anymore then double bag

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 31-Jul-08 08:11:15

yes it's fortnightly. Not due to be colleacted till next Wednesday now...

hmm double bagging could work. Oh I have to TOUCH them again!!

twocutedarlings Thu 31-Jul-08 08:11:17

when are the bin men due?? do you not have an old constainer that you could maybe store them in?? maggotts need air so if you put them in and air tight container it should suffocate the horrible gritters.

twocutedarlings Thu 31-Jul-08 08:12:32

im think they may eat there way though bags.

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 31-Jul-08 08:15:44

Operation Boiling Water has commenced. Now can't eat my Special K cos it looks like them. GROSS!

BBBee Thu 31-Jul-08 08:17:01

could you get som ekind of insect spray - spray an open bin bag and then double bag - then they won't eat their way through as bag will have insecticide on it. I would do that I think but have no idea if it would work.

maidamess Thu 31-Jul-08 08:18:59

I think when you've dealt with the maggots (you poor thing) you should ring your council and tell them what you've had to contend with.

It might not make any difference but I think its important to let the authorities know what the consequences of their policies are.

Or send a few maggots in a jiffy bag!

Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 08:24:34

We've had this in our town for a few years now - council won't change their minds. It's disgusting. People have rats and maggots and so on, goodness knows the thinking behind it sad

TheGoddessBlossom Thu 31-Jul-08 08:31:39

I don't understand why it doesn't happen ever and then does happen - I mean I put the same kinds of things in my green bin all the time, so why do I suddenly have maggots? More foodstuffs then usual???

Am very tempted to now leave it all out there till DH gets home, but would feel rather bad at him having to face it. Espesh as I am off out tonight!

Flightputsonahat Thu 31-Jul-08 08:37:19

I think it is probably the weather, flies lay eggs a lot when it's hot but not so much in cooler weather. Perhaps there was something in with your garden rubbish this time tat they simply took advantage of.

We get them flying into the kitchen and they only really go for the catfood, if some has been left, it's horrid...

I hate them. It's not your fault, don't worry smile

thefortbuilder Thu 31-Jul-08 16:57:13

yes you have to bleach, boiling water and then something like that really strong cillit bang stuff, and then double bag them.

and they don't die easily either - i had this to contend with a few summers ago when a neighbour who shared our bins had put dog food cans in her rubbish but not tied it up properly - bins full of horrid maggots. she then denied all knowledge of it angry while i had to clean it up

llareggub Thu 31-Jul-08 17:00:09

We had them this week too. I had to get my FIL to sort it out as I cannot look at them without heaving. [insert phobia smilie here]

jazzandh Thu 31-Jul-08 18:52:09

I poured a load of soda crystals inside over the bin bag - read somewhere that salt killed them (like slugs?) and didn't have enough salt. Then I sealed it up and rebagged it. Luckliy it was my general bin so have wheely bin liners...

I haven't lifted the lid too much, but can't see any sign of them at the moment!

thefortbuilder Thu 31-Jul-08 20:28:28

what are weely bin liners? think i have to get some of those

merryandmad Thu 31-Jul-08 20:43:29

Wheely bin liners are huge black bin bags (size of a wheely bin) that fit inside your green bin.
Also have you considered having your bin cleaned?
We have a company that come round and clean our on bin men day after it's been emptied.

thefortbuilder Thu 31-Jul-08 21:34:47

have never seen them that size round here - we double bag everything anyway (the problem with the bins was at our last place with shared bins)

where are you merryandmad - haven't heard of the bin cleaning thing either? unless you class dh as doing it which he is very good about - every month or so. also almost had a stand up fight about some chap putting rubbish in our wheely bin!

merryandmad Thu 31-Jul-08 22:15:51

We are in Stafford, a company called Green Cleen- they do the green wheely bin monthly and the blue wheely bin (recylables -sp?) occasionally to. It smells so much better and they clean the outside aswell as inside

thefortbuilder Fri 01-Aug-08 08:21:33

i found them online last night - they only cover north london at the moment unfortunately

stitch Fri 01-Aug-08 08:25:24

let the bin men take the rubbish.
then pour bleach down it.
maggots are one of the more easlily dealt with bugs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now