Talk

Advanced search

Correct usage of a toilet brush

(14 Posts)
hotCheeseBurns Tue 29-Jul-08 13:10:11

For the first time in my life I own a toilet brush (chrome with a white ceramic pot bit).
Now what exactly is it for? And how is it used? And most importantly, how does one keep it clean?
I would very much appreciate any advice you might have on the topic.

Celery Tue 29-Jul-08 13:13:08

how have you cleaned your loo's previously?

I buy very cheap plastic ones from Tesco for a couple of quid each, and just replace them when they get manky. Squirt the loo cleaner around the toilet rim, scrub all around with the brush, leave for a bit and then flush.

LadyOfWaffle Tue 29-Jul-08 13:14:28

Scrub off skiddies... or scrub round the bowl just as you press flush when you have put on toilet duck etc., then it rinses the brush out at the same time. That's what I do anyway. I think you are supposed to get right up and under where the water comes out, but that makes me gag.

cornsilk Tue 29-Jul-08 13:14:47

I don't have one. I put bleach on a wad of toilet paper and wipe round the rim with that. Toilet brushes are horrible dirty things!

hotCheeseBurns Tue 29-Jul-08 13:15:18

I've always just squirted bleach and left it overnight...
blush

alibubbles Tue 29-Jul-08 13:48:27

They are really for visitors who may want to remove their skiddies to save embarrassment!

scanner Tue 29-Jul-08 13:51:00

squirt some bleach into the ceramic pot bit and also rinse off as Ladyofwaffle said, so that you can be extra sure that it's not poo ridden.

ColumboJumbo Tue 29-Jul-08 13:52:28

I don't think they are horrible dirty things - but only if used correctly. Most people don't IME.

Loo should be kept clean by immediate removal of any "skids" with loo roll. Then the odd squirt of bleach under rim overnight then flush in morning.

Toilet brush should only be used after the overnight bleach/flush - use with a limescale type cleaner for a deep clean, then leave in clean toilet with a bit of bleach so the brush is clean when you put it away. Replace when the metal core starts to go rusty (usually meaning the white plastic bristles get a bit discoloured in the centre).

Also never keep the toilet brush in the bathroom/toilet - otherwise less scrupulous types will use to brush off skids and then put it back in the holder with little bits of poo on it - which is when they do become truly revolting and disgusting. YUCK.

As long as you follow good hygiene they are fine.

hotCheeseBurns Tue 29-Jul-08 14:06:43

Wow CJ that's an impressive routine! Sounds fantastically hygienic though, I'll print it off and refer to it in future, once I've acquired some limescale cleaner!

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 14:10:52

Correct usage = bin it.

(or if really desperate to keep it follow CJ's tips above).

I'm afraid that I can't worry about visitors' feelings if they leave "marks" in the loo. I am not leaving them a loo brush for it to be put back dripping with poo and often bits of loo roll -YUK. (happened to me when I used to leave the brush next to the loo).

If they are that worried they may leave a stain, perhaps they should either wait and go at home or put a little bit of loo roll down first, or a little bit of loo cleaner/bleach squirted in will quickly get rid of any unsightly marks.

hotCheeseBurns Tue 29-Jul-08 20:25:32

For those who don't believe in toilet brushes, how do you remove aforementioned skiddies?

nickytwotimes Tue 29-Jul-08 20:27:59

I HATE LOO BRUSHES.

They are the work of Satan.

Pair of rubber gloves, kitchen roll and cleaning product of your chosing and SCRUB, then bin kitchen roll.

I have a designated rubber glove for the lavvies. It lives in the garden shed.

<control freak>

hotCheeseBurns Tue 29-Jul-08 20:31:39

A designated rubber glove?

I have disposable ones

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 20:34:33

If the "skiddies" are fairly superficial and below the water line, and a tiny splash of bleach (or indeed your preferred choice of more eco cleaning product) and flush - leave for a few minutes if possible. After the bubbles pop it is usually clean. If not back to plan b as recommended by nickyx2

This tip also useful if you are visiting friends and "use" their loo and happen to leave any small marks (so I have heard. wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now