Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's fridge/freezer not coping in this weather?

(10 Posts)
Tinkjon Sun 27-Jul-08 09:22:18

Our fridge/freezer has trouble staying cold at the best of times - we've just moved it so I'm not sure if it's because of where we moved it (there's a warm pipe nearby) or whether the freezer is on its way out. But in this weather it's never getting down to -18. The coldest it's been is -14. Anyone else's like this? I have no idea whether it's worth getting someone to look at it and repair it if possible, or whether to buy a new one. It's about 10 years old...

LynetteScavo Sun 27-Jul-08 09:30:55

Did you leave the freezer for a while before you turned it back on after you moved???

Did, you, did you? Hmmm? I've been told on here that you don't have to, but I know you do, or you break your freezer. So there.

I've no idea if you need a new one or not.

maidamess Sun 27-Jul-08 09:40:03

Is the door closing properly? Thats what usuually brings the temp up on mine. Check the seal.

RTKangaMummy Sun 27-Jul-08 09:45:50

Our Fridge/Freezer has a puddle of water under the front most of the time, we put a towel there otherwise the floor is dangerous.

I have no idea what is wrong with it we really ought to get a new one

RTKangaMummy Sun 27-Jul-08 09:48:19

sorry didn't really answer your question I was distrated by TV

I agre with the idea of leaving it standing for a while

Did it get cold enough in old position? If so perhaps you need a new one

snorkle Sun 27-Jul-08 10:52:20

Newer ones are supposed to be more energy efficient that 6year+ old ones to the point where the benefits outweigh the environmental cost of manufacture. It could be time for a new one.

Btw, our fridge freezer has a note on the side saying (in poor English) that it's normal for it to be covered in condensation in the rainy season hmm.

Tinkjon Sun 27-Jul-08 11:52:53

Lynette, by "leave it", do you mean "leave it switched off?" If so, no I didn't do that. oops.

Kanga, it did get cold in the old position, but it still wasn't working as well as it used to. In old position it was about 80% working, in new position it's about 40% working, iyswim...

DeeRiguer Sun 27-Jul-08 12:00:34

tinkjon
i have heard that too, you leave it for while to let refrigerant stuff settle after the move..
got a new one recently and instructions said not to put it on for 6 hours

sorry, cause a dodgy fridge is pita..

LynetteScavo Sun 27-Jul-08 21:57:44

Yes, I mean don't turn it on. As a serial house mover, I have been shouted at by removal men on more than one ocation for wanting to plug my fridge and frezzer in.

amner Thu 31-Jul-08 16:22:25

Have you got one of those useless Whirlpool American style ones ?

I have and the grill along the bottom next to the floor sucks in air and dust and eventually clogs up. You can remove the grill and vac up all the dust.

My fridge was up at 6 or 7 degrees over the weekend. Useless.

I cleaned the grill yesterday and back down to 3 degrees. Result !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now