Talk

Advanced search

how do you remove the sealant stuff from around the bath??

(12 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 25-Jul-08 18:48:47

as we're in a rented house and its absolutely horrid but are quite settled here and planning to stay for a while so would like some new stuff to look at when im soaking in the tub rather than manky lookin stuff

MaureenMLove Fri 25-Jul-08 18:52:03

I think you can buy remover or whilst you're laying there looking at it, start picking! Once you get a corner off, it uusually comes off quite easily.

nickytwotimes Fri 25-Jul-08 18:52:35

You can buy a solvent for it.
When you reapply it, remember to fill the bath up first - stops gaps in the future.

lucysmam Fri 25-Jul-08 18:58:02

fill the bath up?? this is going to sound daft nicky but you do mean as in run a bath???

lol@picking it while im soaking, its tempting but looks very manky maureen so god only knows what lurks under it or in it!!

MaureenMLove Fri 25-Jul-08 20:03:18

Fair point!

You need to fill the bath, because the pressure of the water will shift the bath, everso slightly, making it heavier and therefore in effect pulling it downwards. If its empty when you seal it, it will stretch the sealant when you do fill the bath and therefore possibly make gaps in the sealant. Gosh! Don't I sound knowledgable!grin Does that make sense?

lucysmam Fri 25-Jul-08 20:16:05

yeah that makes sense thanks, didnt know that about bath shifting! you do sound knowledgeable compared to me, i haven't a clue what im doing other than i would like it to look decent while im soaking cos im sick of looking at blackish greenish manky horrible stuff!

will be at it enthusiastically (sp?) tomorrow before shower arrives and i get sidetracked doing that (oh a bit useless at diy so up to me)

MaureenMLove Fri 25-Jul-08 20:33:35

I wish my dh was useless at DIY at times. He is far too good and a bit of a perfectionist. I have been the builders mate today. I've had to do all the cutting in with the paintng of our kitchen and remove every, single, tiny bump and inperfection! I'd leave it, but no, not him!grin

lucysmam Fri 25-Jul-08 22:26:26

lol@ builders mate. he's not useless at everything. just some things im better doing myself as they end up neater!! lol@lumps n bumps as well, your dh should come and sort out my lumpy bumpy kitchen i think, the walls are sooooo uneven!

horace Fri 25-Jul-08 22:38:50

whatever you do remove all of the yukk and crap, then let it dry BEFORE you re seal otherwise it comes back. here speaks a woman who knows.

lucysmam Sat 26-Jul-08 10:30:22

thanks horace, would have just put it straight on top tbh so cheers for the 'heads up'! am looking forward to not looking at manky horrid yukky stuff in bath tub!

mrsleroyjethrogibbs Sat 26-Jul-08 10:39:52

very carefully with a stanley knife

lucysmam Sat 26-Jul-08 13:15:28

its past being careful with mrs leroy jethro gibbs (still think your name's fab!), if im honest the whole suite could do with replacing but landlords not wanting to spend any money at all! Have told agent its ALL going back to how it was when we moved in though as they've lost our bond and we've spent a bit of money making it nice enough to live in so if its not nailed down then its either being removed or put back to how it was (petty i know but they should have been more careful with my money!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now