Talk

Advanced search

How do you dust or clean your houseplants?

(26 Posts)
BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 16:45:28

Yes, I know, I know...lifes too short and all that but some of my plants are filthy (house is an on-going renovation project so lots of dust).

The ones that are particularly a problem are the ones with velvety-type leaves as the dust doesn't just wipe off them.

Cappuccino Fri 25-Jul-08 16:46:31

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

cocolepew Fri 25-Jul-08 16:48:27

I know! I know! Ahem, use the inside of a banana skin. You're very welcome.

BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 16:50:44

Glad I've amused someone! smile

The daft thing is I'm not a fan of housework but because we've got a family gathering at ours this weekend I've been leaning like a woman possessed today and noticed the plants

LazyLinePainterJane Fri 25-Jul-08 16:51:10

I do not have plants inside my house. All plants are for outdoors.

BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 16:51:33

Inside of a banana skin? Doesn't it leave stuff on the fluffier leaves?

Jazzicatz Fri 25-Jul-08 16:53:16

Milk is supposed to be good also!

ellideb Fri 25-Jul-08 17:00:55

No no no no no, i just don't get it when people say use milk etc (nothing personal Jazzicat)Why would plants like to be cleaned with milk, it goes off and smells and then atttracts insects. Doesn't do nowt for the leaves in my experience.

Another one I heard and was such a stupid 'tip' from a magazine was: Use teabags at the bottom of your plant pot as it helps with drainage. In the back of my mind I knew it was a stupid idea but I still tried it anyway.

4 weeks later I couldn't understand why my house was swarming with annoyong little fruit fly things. Then I twigged (no pun intended) and had a look in the plant pots. Yes, the teabags had turned mouldy and where attracting flies. Uchh. I had to peel them off the bottom of the pots, gross things. So next time I will listen to my own comon sense.

Sorry for high jack and long post but just needed to let off steam. Can't offer any soloutions either.

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 17:03:56

I don't do much housework but I clean my plants once in a while. Otherwise they can't 'breathe'.

I get a clean kitchen cloth (those white ones you can wash), wet it, squeeze it and wipe the leaves.

I tried the banan skin. Didn't find it very satisfactory.

WowOoo Fri 25-Jul-08 17:05:25

I shove mine in the shower for a blast. Does the trick nicely.

Jazzicatz Fri 25-Jul-08 17:06:33

Or you can buy wipes specifically for cleaning plants

cocolepew Fri 25-Jul-08 17:07:30

Oh bloody hoover them then

wink

BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 17:09:41

lol at teabags!

WowOoo -I did consider the shower option but the plant that needs cleaning most has very long, delicate stems and fluffy-ish leaves. I think the shower may damage it by bending the stems??

BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 17:13:03

cocolepew- aah now if I hoovered them today the hoover pipe would be like when a snake eats an animal and has a huge shaped bulge in its tummy as I washed the filter and it now sucks so hard I nearly lost a rug, several magazines, an assortment of toys and a small child !

cocolepew Fri 25-Jul-08 17:25:03

spit on a hanky and rub them vigoriously while tutting.

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 25-Jul-08 17:29:12

stick them out in the rain (gives very attractive water marks)

yorkshirepudding Fri 25-Jul-08 17:31:01

Message withdrawn

Blandmum Fri 25-Jul-08 17:31:51

I put them out in the rain. Very good for them as long as it isn't too cold/windy

Bluebutterfly Fri 25-Jul-08 17:32:40

Stick them in a cold shower for 5 mins. (or as Wellies suggested, the rain)

Life to short for leaf dusting imo.

Bluebutterfly Fri 25-Jul-08 17:33:19

Life's too short for leaf dusting imo.

(But long enough to correct my typos)

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 17:33:26

lol @ coco

pointydog Fri 25-Jul-08 17:33:43

mr sheen?

Hannah81 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:35:24

i was just gonna say the shower too but bluebutterfly got in there first - i don't habve houseplants - the window sills are enough dusting for me lol

lizziemun Fri 25-Jul-08 18:03:56

My houseplants are lucky to get water they don't stand a chance of being dusted grin.

BettySpaghetti Fri 25-Jul-08 20:14:38

Thanks everyone.

(PS -On reflection I'm not sure what I'm doing in the Good Housekeeping section, let alone asking advice about cleaning plants ?!? -I think I might have had too much sun wink)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now