Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is a steam generator or steam press better for everyday?

(12 Posts)
foxy1 Wed 23-Jul-08 21:54:31

i am looking at these options and not sure what to go for? anybody have either of these? thank you

foxy1 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:04:09

bump??

foxy1 Thu 24-Jul-08 12:59:47

ANYONE?

WigWamBam Thu 24-Jul-08 13:08:23

I have a steam generator iron and it's fab. Faster, more efficient and gives a much better finish than my old standard iron did.

Can't comment on the steam press option though as I don't have one.

foxy1 Thu 24-Jul-08 14:40:34

THANKS WIGWAM BAM - WHICH ONE DO YOU HAVE? WHAT FEATURES ARE IMPORTANT? THANK YOU

soremummy Thu 24-Jul-08 14:48:16

I tried the press once and couldnt get the hang of it. I love my steam generator iron

chocbutton Thu 24-Jul-08 15:13:34

I have this and am really pleased with it - actually makes ironing almost bearable but it does make the room a bit hot!

WigWamBam Thu 24-Jul-08 16:56:05

I have one of these which was discounted to a ridiculously low price a few months back. The downside is that it's a rather girly pink which dh (fully trained in ironing wink) wasn't too chuffed about!

What I particularly like is that it's lightweight and has gel grips on the handle (I have RSI and can struggle with ordinary irons), it warms up quickly, has a lovely smooth soleplate and gives a really good finish, even when I only iron something very quickly. The controls are all easy to reach and use, and it's simple to operate.

It can leave the clothes a little damp if you use a lot of steam - dh tends to iron with his finger on the steam button all the time, which tends to make the clothes damper than if you are more selective with your use of the steam button.

The only downside is that the generator unit is quite bulky, and the cable between the generator and the iron isn't particularly long. You also need to have the generator positioned at a similar height to the ironing board, which might cause problems if you have nowhere to stand the generator unit.

But on the whole I love it!

foxy1 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:40:10

thanks everyone

ColumboJumbo Mon 28-Jul-08 10:22:41

I have a steam cleaner which has a steram iron attachment and it's ACE. You can iron about 4 layers at the same time for things like sheets/teatowels and it just powers through normal ironing, takes about half as long as it is 5 bar pressure. I reckon the steam generators would be similar.

eandh Mon 28-Jul-08 10:27:41

I have the pink one too (found the link on MN) I love it and will never go back to a normal iron, I tend to keep my finger on steam button wqhen doing dh's work shirts but for dd's stuff no steam required.

It takes me about 20mins to do a huge pile of ironing and its the best thing I have bought in a long time

trampandunfitmother Mon 28-Jul-08 13:04:02

I've got one of these that I bought for about £30 off e-bay - it's big and heavy but I love it.

I can rattle through a big basket in no time at all, but most importantly, you have to sit down to use it, and because you don't need to use your hands other than to push the handle down, you can MN at the same time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now