Talk

Advanced search

If your washing is outside on the line in the afternoon

(67 Posts)
IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 09:56:48

and it's still damp when night falls, do you take it in or leave it out (assuming you're not expecting rain)?

MummyDoIt Tue 22-Jul-08 09:58:29

If I haven't brought it in by tea-time, I usually forget all about it so it stays out.

nell12 Tue 22-Jul-08 09:58:37

I used to take it in... now I have realised that life is too short and it stays out and is fine the next morning!

I have also been known to hang washing out at night to save me a job before work the next morning grin

Wolfgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 09:59:30

take it in, and put it on the clothes horse, which is a pain, cos I could have done that in the beginning and save meself some work shock

but... needs must, sometimes

Bramshott Tue 22-Jul-08 10:00:54

I check the weather first - most of the year I'd bring it in, but in the summer (incl last night) I left it out because they were forecasting good weather today.

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:02:17

Would you never consider leaving it out all night, wolfgirl?

Bramshott Tue 22-Jul-08 10:02:18

I also have one of those little smalls dryer things from Lakeland which make it easier to transfer the washing because you just unclip it from the washing line and clip it onto the clothes horse.

pgwithnumber3 Tue 22-Jul-08 10:02:19

Oh god, I wait for DH to get fed up of nearly decapitating himself on it (washing line quite low) before I bring the washing in.

happystory Tue 22-Jul-08 10:04:09

Bring it in. Cos unless we're having a heatwave most of it gets damp overnight.

A pain though

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:05:18

That's a good point, happystory. But what if it's already a bit damp?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 22-Jul-08 10:05:42

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Tue 22-Jul-08 10:06:48

in and hang over airer

TsarChasm Tue 22-Jul-08 10:09:06

Out. I don't play washing hokey cokey any more..too much palavar.

I don't really have anywhere to put a pile of damp washing anyway other than the tumble dryer.

If it's going to stay dry, I leave it out.

Wolfgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 10:09:49

Ummmm... <<ponders with head tilted upwards>>... maybe, and Im sure I have done it. I put out last night loads ready for today.... so I do it for wet washing.

And of course, if good weather predicted then there might be a good chance of leaving it, espesh if Im feeling particularly lazy, knackered or busy with other stuff.

So I guess my real answer is _sometimes-. grin but mostly not. ha ha ha ha

Wolfgirl Tue 22-Jul-08 10:10:50

....but of course, you never know who might sneak over the fence and pinch yer bloomers knickers grin

snotbuster Tue 22-Jul-08 10:19:29

No! I just can't! Don't know why - I'm completely slovenly about every other aspect of housework - but I can't. It makes me anxious. Often to be found stumbling around the garden in the dark as I've forgotten to do it earlier but can't go to bed unless it's in. Then I leave it in a big damp heap in the basket and have to put it all out again in the morning.

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:32:42

It's interesting. I feel your anxiety snotbuster. But only very mildly - I always leave mine out, but something feels slightly wrong about it and I'm not sure why.

WendyWeber Tue 22-Jul-08 10:34:37

Out.

Hate it when the weather forecast turns out to have been wrong though!

blossomsmine Tue 22-Jul-08 10:35:09

I occassionally leave it out, but......i have found insects (lots) in my clothes when i have left it out all night......

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:41:48

Insects, of course. That's what feels wrong. Not so much of a problem where I live now (too urban), but still have a residual feeling that something might be creeping about in the night and making a nest in my pants.

Cappuccino Tue 22-Jul-08 10:45:05

why is it damp if it has been out all day?

IdrisTheDragon Tue 22-Jul-08 10:46:37

Mine stays out.

DustyTV Tue 22-Jul-08 10:51:32

Up until a few weeks ago I would have left it out, but someone stole some of my nappies off the line (in broad daylight shock) the other week so now I wouldn't leave the washing out unless I am actually at home and deffo not at night.

Tis rough as a dogs bum where I live sad

<thread gives me a kick up the bum to get off MN and put washing out on the line>

IdrisTheDragon Tue 22-Jul-08 10:52:35

Mine will be damp when I have either done several loads of washing that day, or did only one load and forgot to put it out blush.

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:53:15

They stole your nappies! That's low. I'm sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now