Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need to clean my suede handbag...

(8 Posts)
MrsThierryHenry Mon 21-Jul-08 23:47:26

...but don't want to risk dry-cleaning as the last time I dry-cleaned suede, it cost a bomb and fell apart!

Any eco-friendly tips? No specific stains, just generally looks a bit mucky (though it's dark - aubergine-coloured, so I could prob get away with it).

gigglewitch Mon 21-Jul-08 23:50:57

<waves>
hi mrsTH! Have you got any of the stuff from shoe shops - like a little block of, i dunno what it is <dimwitch> it looks like an eraser and doesn't cost a fortune, couple of quid max. (this is where you say that the handbag is enormous) I use one for cleaning DD's pale pink suede piedro boots grin and if it can clean that it'll clean anything!!

MrsThierryHenry Mon 21-Jul-08 23:54:12

I have got that (hellooooooo back!), but I tried it once and it scratched the pile off a pair of shoes! Am not going to risk damaging my lovely Jigsaw bag!

gigglewitch Tue 22-Jul-08 00:11:03

ooops. p'raps not then.shock
can't you just leave it grubby? as you say, aubergine-coloured <posh> won't show anything up grin
my mother would have an answer for you, blardy bicarb or vinegar or something hmm (well these are her usual tricks, weird thing is that they work) if i have a working brain cell i may well ask her tomorrow, just from pure nosiness...

zazen Tue 22-Jul-08 00:11:29

Have you tried a baby wipe?

And a toothbrush when it's wet to lift the pile again?

MrsThierryHenry Wed 23-Jul-08 15:41:15

Well, I've left it covered in bicarb, will scrub it off today.

Zazen - baby wipe + toothbrush. Now there's an idea worth trying! That'll be my next option if the mighty bicarb doesn't do the trick.

Thanks MNers!

MrsTiddles Wed 23-Jul-08 18:35:35

chalk to pull out the grease / dirt

normal pencil eraser to wipe the lot off

works a treat

MrsThierryHenry Wed 23-Jul-08 21:18:46

Thanks, fellow Mrs T!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now