Talk

Advanced search

i am just shockingly bad at this stuff i really am.

(29 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dragonbutter Thu 17-Jul-08 14:24:43

me and you both.
been here far too long today.
have got a horrible cold so have just plonked myself in front of the computer while the kids trash the house.
DH told me to have a day off!
not sure it's all that impressive though.

fryalot Thu 17-Jul-08 14:25:25

Pile everything in a black bin liner.

Clean room.

Hoover.

Polish/dust where necessary - don't forget light fitting.

Wipe round the tops of skirting boards and round window frames.

Put clothes away nicely (if you've time)

Make bed.

Sit on bed and look through bin bag, decide what to keep and put it away there and then. What is still in the bin bag later goes in the bin.

Hoover again because you'll have messed it up with your bin bag.

Repeat for each room.

theinsider Thu 17-Jul-08 14:25:44

ds's room doesn't matter. Childrens' rooms are allowed to be tips.
Concentrate on downstairs, and the bathroom. And their bedroom (if they're staying). Start in their room, least likely to get trashed between now and then. Clean toilets and bathroom, again should last until tomorrow. Then living room, and kitchen gets a go over tomorrow morning.

Ta-da. Easy. smile

I know the theory. grin

fryalot Thu 17-Jul-08 14:26:05

or.... stay on mumsnet and spray some flash around, it will smell like you've cleaned. They may not notice the actual mess...

WingsofaAngel Thu 17-Jul-08 14:26:25

Which are the most important areas to be tidy.
Start with that room. Take a bin liner with you and throw away anything you haven't needed or used recently.
Start in one corner and work you way around.

Depending on how old ds is get him to help you with his room.

Good luck.

theinsider Thu 17-Jul-08 14:29:21

I sometimes get a binliner and make it a challenge to fill it up. It can be suprisingly difficult. But old clothes, nearly finished dusty bottles from the bathroom, torn books, broken toys, manky old tea-towels, old cutlery stuff not used for years, that broken lamp, those keys that have been on the windowsill for ages and you don't know what they're for...

Pinchypants Thu 17-Jul-08 14:29:59

Leave your DS' room. Give yourself one hour only to get the most important stuff sorted: Loos/bathroom. Kitchen surfaces. Floors. Wander round with duster. Straighten cushions. Stack/pile stuff you need to deal with later somewhere where inlaws won't see it. In the morning, have a last whip round and burn nice smelling candle or put coffee on before they arrive.

fryalot Thu 17-Jul-08 14:30:15

stand over him until he has done it properly. YOu cannot let him get away with that now you have asked him to do it.

Make a nice cup of tea, settle yourself on his bed with a good book and tell him that neither of you are leaving his room until he has put away his clothes like you asked him to.

SqueakyPop Thu 17-Jul-08 14:30:52

Pick a job to do and don't stop until you are done.

A good place to start is by getting rid of rubbish and other unwanted things. You can pick a number or things to chuch or a number of bin bags to fill - and just do it.

Another method is to pick the far corner of the room and work your way out of the room, leaving everything spic and span.

With inlaws coming, you need to prioritise - kitchen and bathroom first, then their room, then the hallways, then the living room. Do the children's rooms, if they are going to go in. Don't bother about your room.

SqueakyPop Thu 17-Jul-08 14:32:26

Leave DS's room and get MIL to sort it out! grin

SqueakyPop Thu 17-Jul-08 14:32:29

Leave DS's room and get MIL to sort it out! grin

Dragonbutter Thu 17-Jul-08 14:33:10

am inspired. going to sort this tip out too.
good luck.

taipo Thu 17-Jul-08 14:33:51

This sounds like me when mil comes to visit.

Have you got a kitchen timer, or an alarm clock will do. Set it for 15 minutes and start with one area, perhaps kitchen or bathroom and keep at it until the bell rings.

Collision Thu 17-Jul-08 18:55:39

We do the 'timer' thing too!

20 minutes and DH and I blitz the house on a Sunday afternoon!

I love it!

cocolepew Thu 17-Jul-08 18:58:57

What are you back on here hmm?

cocolepew Thu 17-Jul-08 19:17:11

hmm

cocolepew Thu 17-Jul-08 19:18:04

Trying to hide on the Good housekeeping topic, as well. Tsk.

cocolepew Thu 17-Jul-08 19:24:00

Haha smile I'm just pleased that I'm starting to remember who pepole are grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now