Talk

Advanced search

Machine dyeing and cleaning the machine afterwards

(5 Posts)
RBH Thu 17-Jul-08 09:30:21

Hi all, back for more advice! I have dyed a denim jacket black in my washing machine. First time it went dark blue so am doing it again. However, although I followed the instructions to the letter, when I did another wash after (using old stuff) there were a few streaks of dye on things. The dye packet says to clean the machine by running it on a 40 degree cotton wash with detergent in the normal place. Should I then also run it on a hot wash with soda crystals in the drum to give it a good clean? Any help very much appreciated!

RBH Thu 17-Jul-08 09:56:47

Bump grin

RBH Thu 17-Jul-08 16:02:13

Someone please help!

MaureenMLove Thu 17-Jul-08 16:19:58

I dye dh's work trousers black a couple of times a year, but tbh, I've never noticed any streaks on subsequent washes. I do usually make sure I run a HOT wash with old towels and grotty teatowels and stuff through, for the first wash after and then do the dark (only black stuff) second wash. I have never needed to do a soda crystals wash. HTH! smile

RBH Thu 17-Jul-08 19:04:40

Thank you! Will run a couple of black washes before doing kids clothes. Stupid jacket is still dark blue though even after 2 lots of dye!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now